• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help with Kids Christmas Gift

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch
Ok I have a problem, this might be the wrong place to post this but I will start here.

My 11 year old boy would like a small digital video camera for one of his Christmas gifts. He would like to just take small videos for you tube and the such (so this does not have to be a great camera), but I do not want to get something to junky!

anyone used one of these cheap cameras?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What do you consider cheap? I have a digital Camera from Sony and I consider that cheap. >_>" It was in the 200 dollar price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
What do you consider cheap? I have a digital Camera from Sony and I consider that cheap. >_>" It was in the 200 dollar price range.

Yup. My Sony Cyber-shot was $250. It's a 5.1 Megapixel MPEG DSC-W5, complete with Carl Ziess lens.

It's a really good camera for videos. But I think it comes with a 512MB card, which is barely enough to take 3 minutes worth of videos. You can find 1GB Memory Sticks for $20 at Meijer's. They come with an adaptor so it can fit in the card slot. Lexar throws in a memory card case as well.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Aluminum with 4GB / MacMini / 160GB Ipod Classic / 8GB Ipod Touch
yea, i have a sony 4.1 that i could give him but i am thinking about something more like the FLIP camcorder.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't have experience with that type of camcorder. It looks interesting though. Although seems to cost a lot for something that just records video? At least it's idiot proof I guess, considering it looks very simple to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Flips are cool. Portable, light, colorful. Adults love em'!

Reaction score
gift

Hi,

There are some new products on thinkit and motiwake which are related to inspiration and child development. You can have look at both sites by giving search on google.

Hope this may help

Thanks
Arien

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.