Stolen MBP/MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy (multiply by about 5) who sells the new unibody MBs and MBPs for $500 and $700. Apparently the MBP are top of the line ones (2.53) and are all unopened in the original box.

I just bought a white MB (refurb) for $899 and with tax and other things it came to approx. 1100 (accessories included). I tried the white MB and the new MB at BestBuy and I believe I like mine more, however, I like the newer MBP rather than mine.

Now is where the decision is made. I doubt this is even truthful and that this guy even exists, but I have reasons to believe he does. Is it worth it? My financial situation is this:

MB + Acc = $1100
Sell white MB = $750-800
Money Left on debt = $300
Buy MBP, whats left on debt = $1000

Idk if it is worth it. My major concern is that it will have an Apple related problem and when I bring it in for service under warranty they will run the serial number and find out that it is stolen, therefore keep it. Will this happen? And is it worth risking it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If it sounds too good to be true...

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I agree 100%, my first impression. It leads me to believe that it is true though because I've heard about him selling 360s.

Note: I'm not giving him any money up front. We will go to a local place (probably a mall) and he'll give me the MBP. I will then open it, inspect every inch of it, check the about this mac, more likely open it up and see if anythings out of place, then pay him. If anything is wrong then I'm simply walking away.

I'll also be bringing a couple of my brothers friends since I'm about 5"3 and 15 years old lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I agree 100%, my first impression. It leads me to believe that it is true though because I've heard about him selling 360s.

Note: I'm not giving him any money up front. We will go to a local place (probably a mall) and he'll give me the MBP. I will then open it, inspect every inch of it, check the about this mac, more likely open it up and see if anythings out of place, then pay him. If anything is wrong then I'm simply walking away.

I'll also be bringing a couple of my brothers friends since I'm about 5"3 and 15 years old lol.

Haha. That would work. Maybe enter the serial number into Apple Support site to see if it has already been registered ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP

I don't know, I just found it.
The path to **** is paved with good intentions.
What goes around comes around.
And finally, karma's a *****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.0GHz
I have a bridge for sale, if you are looking to buy.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you know something is obtain illegally why would you want to buy? It will only lead to trouble for you if you are caught with it. >_<"

Reaction score
Report that guy, he probably stole my Blackbook too. Justice needs to be served so check the serial nos. They must be stolen, why else would new Macbooks be so cheap?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Knowingly receiving stolen property is as much of a crime as stealing it yourself. Regardless of whether it's too good to be true, it's not cool to enable a thief to continue steal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, Agreed 1000%. If you know it's stolen, you just as well go and steal it yourself as it's all the same. I would not knowingly purchase anything stolen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The serials are likely legit, and the hardware might just well be new and not stolen. I know people who know other people (etc etc) that have bought laptops and other such expensive electronic goods from people on the inside (usually the truck driver who is the warehouse delivery person).

There's nothing legal about it, and it's all up to you as to whether or not morality shall speak to you, vs. the opposite. I'm not preaching.. just saying. Some people couldn't be bothered with morality where this stuff is concerned...but usually draw the line at something more personal, like specific injury to a person (psychological or personal theft etc).

Personally speaking, I'd not be involved in purchasing an MB or pro from such a source. But that's just me. A PC laptop ? Hmmmm....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Haha just had an out of the box thought. What if it was some cheap chinese clone of a macbook? If I were you I wouldn't knowingly purchase stolen goods. Theres also a huge chance that he would rob you. He might be using the too good to be true deal to get you in a situation where you had a couple hundred in cash.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha just had an out of the box thought. What if it was some cheap chinese clone of a macbook? If I were you I wouldn't knowingly purchase stolen goods. Theres also a huge chance that he would rob you. He might be using the too good to be true deal to get you in a situation where you had a couple hundred in cash.

I guess you didn't read the thread???

I'm checking internal components and external.

I'm bringing a couple big guys.

This is happening at a well known, mall on a Saturday.

Look, I know its somewhat of a "crime". Now looking over it, I won't do it since I don't want to have an Apple related problem, but I have nothing wrong with it being stolen. Sure, if it was stolen from a small business, okay, but from Apple? They're rolling in cash and I doubt a couple MBs are going to screw em' over.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What a sad lack of integrity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP
Sure, if it was stolen from a small business, okay, but from Apple? They're rolling in cash and I doubt a couple MBs are going to screw em' over.

Typical Napster mentality. As a photographer, I rely on the integrity of my clients and the license that I grant for use of my images. Intellectual Properties and Copyright Law includes music, software and the written word and if you are stealing any of those you are a thief. I hope there's a sting operation and you spend a little time in the greybar hotel.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Typical Napster mentality. As a photographer, I rely on the integrity of my clients and the license that I grant for use of my images. Intellectual Properties and Copyright Law includes music, software and the written word and if you are stealing any of those you are a thief. I hope there's a sting operation and you spend a little time in the greybar hotel.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are able to justify immoral behavior in their own mind. "Oh, it's just a few computers from a large, wealthy company - that means stealing from them is OK"... uh, yeah. The thing is it's still stealing. To me, pride in ownership means that I worked for and rightfully paid for the machine that I own.

OP
Andy348
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It never ceases to amaze me how some people are able to justify immoral behavior in their own mind. "Oh, it's just a few computers from a large, wealthy company - that means stealing from them is OK"... uh, yeah. The thing is it's still stealing. To me, pride in ownership means that I worked for and rightfully paid for the machine that I own.

We'll never end up seeing eye to eye on this one, and I'll just end up with countless more infractions, so just go ahead and close this.

Reaction score

Yeah, it just goes to show you how effed up the world really is.

To OP:
If you buy the laptop and the laptop is stolen from someone, even if after checking it it looks legal, think about how you would feel if your laptop was stolen from you. Think about all the personal things you have on there, someone buying it 2 days after it was stolen, not giving you a chance to find it, and the thief still having your harddrive to look at all the pictures of you and your family. Like I said before my Macbook was stolen from me earlier this year and it still hurts. Maybe I should then steal someone else's Macbook huh?

It doesn't matter if the computer was stolen from a company or a person, the fact is that it was unrightfully taken from someone who rightfully owned it. Your Robin Hood mentality doesn't work here. Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean they necessarily value their possessions less than you and I and it also doesn't mean you should steal from them (not you specifically, but the person who stolen them). Yeah, they can buy a new one the next day but it must hurt to know that your private photos and things are gone forever and someone could be looking at them with cruel intentions. Would you buy something from a sicko like that? Think about that and tell me if you'd still buy it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We'll never end up seeing eye to eye on this one, and I'll just end up with countless more infractions, so just go ahead and close this.

Good idea. I don't see how this thread adds any value to the forum anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.