Standby

Reaction score
Whenever I use windows, and I either close the lid, or leave the computer on without using it, it tries to go into standby mode, but whenever that happens, it freezes and I have to hold down the power button to restart it. I have xp with sp3 and everything is up to date. I already turned off standby mode when I close the lid, but if the computer stays on for longer than say 20 minutes without someone using it, it goes into standby mode automatically.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Standby causes problems in Windows, it's more than likely related to a driver. You gave us no information at all regarding your machine so it's difficult to advise on which one it could be.

Try to update all your hardware drivers in Windows with the latest Windows approved versions. Start with video, audio, and airport. Any blue tooth devices? Wireless mouse? Wireless keyboard? And so on.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
If Standby causes problems in Windows, it's more than likely related to a driver. You gave us no information at all regarding your machine so it's difficult to advise on which one it could be.

Try to update all your hardware drivers in Windows with the latest Windows approved versions. Start with video, audio, and airport. Any blue tooth devices? Wireless mouse? Wireless keyboard? And so on.

Regards.

Right, I forgot. It's a macbook pro from earlier this year.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK.

1. Start by removing all external hardware (if any); keyboard, hard drive, external monitor, mouse, any blue tooth devices, etc.

Test standby after removal. If standby is OK, attach hardware one by one testing standby each time until you find the offender.

If no joy above....

2. Update your drivers if possible - as I mentioned in my original reply. Make sure the drivers are Windows approved.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.