Dissapearing hard drive

Reaction score
Ok, here's one for ya...I have a Power Mac G5 2.0 that I have a second hard drive installed. A 10K rpm Raptor that I have partioned in two parts, part 1 is an archive/work drive and part 2 is a music library.

This morning when i turned the system on it comes up to the desktop with an error box saying:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk incerted press "Ignore".

It then goes on up to desktop. but without the two icons for the second hard drive.

I rebooted about 5 times and each time it did the same thing. Then on the 6th reboot there was no notice and there was the two icons for the archive drive and the music drive. Everything seems to be working properly at the moment with full access to all drives and files.

Anyone know what the heck is going on? I'm afraid to shut the machine off now cause it may do it again. Jeez I am starting to feel like I am back in the winders world...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Don't know the answer to your situation. But I would get disk warrior and check the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.