Safari pop-up ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, M1 MacBooks
I'm running Safari 3.2 on Leopard 10.5.5. Everything is great but I do notice from time to time that a couple of pop-up ads will be hiding themselves behind the primary browser window. I have Block Pop-Up Windows enabled. Are some ads just able to circumvent the security settings? I can live with a few ads every now and then but I'm curious if there is anything else I should do to maybe eliminate them totally?

Thanks.

nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Those are Pop Under's. I have had a few pop up under pages in Firefox, Opera and Safari. I rarely get any now a days.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I use Firefox and I downloaded this plugin called YesPopup. I know the name sounds counter productive but ever since I installed this on firefox I haven't had any unwanted pop ups at all.

The built in pop up works sometimes but it doesn't eliminate the pop under ones.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for that CR. Downloading that plugin for Firefox as I type this.

What is funny about YesPopup is it only claims to be a switch to turn off and on pop up blocking.

This explains it.

Yes popups ← Projects ← MPAM Rebooted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm running Safari 3.2 on Leopard 10.5.5 ... I do notice from time to time that a couple of pop-up ads will be hiding themselves behind the primary browser window. I have Block Pop-Up Windows enabled ... I'm curious if there is anything else I should do to maybe eliminate them totally?

Isn't there an AdBlock add-on for Safari? I know there is for FFox, and it blocks absolutely everything except the chosen windows/tabs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, M1 MacBooks
Pop Under's

I hadn't heard of those before. Indeed, that's what they are. Thanks for the info, guys. hughvane, if you happen to find out what that add-on is for Safari I'd love to know.

Reaction score
There is one already built in - go to Safari, and then scroll down to the "Block Pop Up Windows" and make sure it is checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
hughvane, if you happen to find out what that add-on is for Safari I'd love to know.

See Top 10 Safari Plugins Apparently it's PithHelmet and/or Saft, neither of which I've tried, and PH is $10 for continued use.

That is a compelling reason - for me at least - to use FFox because there's a real 'community' of people out there who are ready, willing and able to write and test things like AdBlockPlus free-of-charge.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, M1 MacBooks
Okay, thanks for that.

I understand what you're saying about FFox. I'm still relatively new to Macs and wanted to give Safari a try, which I have and I've been mostly satisfied. But, like you mentioned, it's very difficult to compete with an open source community. I should probably give FFox a try.

One last thing I'll mention is that these pop-under ads I've seen are very few and far between. It's not a major issue. The larger problem is that we have to deal with any of that garbage at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.