Setting up email account in Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hi guys,

So i recently got an email address for my school i currently at, only problem is i'm having a lot of trouble setting up the outgoing mail server. I can get it to dowload my emails fine, but i cant get it to send any. When im not at school, is my outgoing mail server simple my ISP one? eg. mail.btinternet.com? because this doesnt seem to work. it keeps saying it "rejected the password for [email protected]". I spoke to a teacher who also uses a mac and im pretty sure i copied all his settings right down to the last detail (except he has a different ISP to me), and it still wont send emails. is there anything im missing here? oh, also the tech guys at school dont use macs and havnt got a clue about why it isnt working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what is the current outgoing (smtp) server and port?

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
outgoing: mail.btinternet.com (this is what a google search tells me to put as outgoing also) What's BT's outgoing mail server for Outlook Express? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

port: Use default ports (25, 465, 587)

Connection doctor says it connected to the server successfully. SSL is turned off. Earlier it said the certificate could not be certified (or something along those lines) and i said connect anyway, because the one it said it was finding was a yahoo one.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another main concern is that i'm getting an iphone tomorrow and will really need this email account set up on it. I hope it will work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Luke do you connect by wireless?

If so go into System Preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS and see if schools primary and secondary DNS server numbers are listed. If not ask or them, click the little '+' button to do this feature.

It may be necessary to go online, then visit the school's ISP and download from there.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Luke do you connect by wireless?

If so go into System Preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS and see if schools primary and secondary DNS server numbers are listed. If not ask or them, click the little '+' button to do this feature.

It may be necessary to go online, then visit the school's ISP and download from there.

ohh ok. that's really useful, thanks for the tip! what exactly does that do though? i've never had to do this with any other email accounts before.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, problem solved. turns out i had to verify the school email address with my ISP before i could use their outgoing mail server (makes sense i guess)... now that's all done it works great. thanks for all your help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Great result Luke.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.