This odd noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have been hearing this really odd noise lately coming out of my speakers, which i have not created myself. It's a clicking noise, 3 in a row, almost like a shutter sound when a picture is taken. The 3 programs that i have running whenever this noise sounds, are Firefox, Entourage, and Adium. Can anybody tell me what this could be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
As far as I'm aware, FFox makes no extraneous noises, and I doubt that Entourage does either. I don't use either of those last two apps, but in your situation I'd check their Preferences for any sound options that you can change or disable. Since Adium is a chat application, you may be hearing related net traffic noise like, for example, when someone on my contact list hooks into Skype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
or mute your volume (F10) instead of changing the settings.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok here are the things that i noticed. I rebooted it, and only had opera running, i heard it. Then i thought that maybe it's opera, so i rebooted, and had only entourage running, still heard it, even while playing my music and games. Could this possibly by some sort of virus taking pictures with my webcam and sending them out for whatever reason? I know that doesn't sound too practical, but i'm trying to rule out possibilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A virus or trojan is highly unlikely. After you'd initially posted this noise topic, I happened to stumble across a post in another forum about hard drive noises. I can only wish this isn't so for you, but you might want to check this Failing hard drive sounds - Datacent.com - Datacent to see if the sound you're hearing is included there.
RE webcam - This is unlikely, but if it's an external one, and you think it may be taking shots automatically and randomly, check its preferences. If it were taking snaps, ie. still shots, they'd have to be stored somewhere.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's a failing hard drive, especially since this is a fairly new computer. But the sounds seem to me like software. The thing about the webcam, i took off all the software associated with it, because i would never use it. So idk what's going on, hopefully after a wipe it within a few weeks, it'll go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I don't think it's a failing hard drive, especially since this is a fairly new computer. But the sounds seem to me like software. The thing about the webcam, i took off all the software associated with it, because i would never use it. So idk what's going on, hopefully after a wipe it within a few weeks, it'll go away.

Don't rule out a failing HDD, doesn't matter if the computer is new or old, parts just fail sometimes. Although, that should be more of a clicking noise, rather than a shutter sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing about the webcam, i took off all the software associated with it, because i would never use it. So idk what's going on, hopefully after a wipe it within a few weeks, it'll go away.

Don't be too sure you've removed ALL the software associated with the webcam. Some files get tucked away in 'secret' places using obscure file names. Something like CleanApp or AppCleaner or AppZapper should be used to remove completely all files related to an application.

Another thought - how long is it since you ran a system clean? A program like Onyx does a very good job, and should be used regularly [reminds self to do same :Oops: ]

Reaction score
I have just installed microsoft office 2008. I am also getting this weird sound coming from my speakers. It is a single tone like "dom'. Did not happen before i installed the microsoft stuff.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't be too sure you've removed ALL the software associated with the webcam. Some files get tucked away in 'secret' places using obscure file names. Something like CleanApp or AppCleaner or AppZapper should be used to remove completely all files related to an application.

Another thought - how long is it since you ran a system clean? A program like Onyx does a very good job, and should be used regularly [reminds self to do same :Oops: ]

Yea, i have never heard of Onyx before. I actually do use AppZapper to get rid of my stuff. I'll have to check that one out.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh, this Onyx program is cool! hughvane, what settings do you do perform maintenance on your machine?

And Skid_o, that is normal for Office 08. I get those sounds too when Entourage can't connect to my mail for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Onyx

Huh, this Onyx program is cool! hughvane, what settings do you do perform maintenance on your machine?

For starters I left all settings at default. Then I started experimenting after reading just what Onyx is capable of doing. Because I regularly clean browser caches and cookies myself, and limit browser history to 7 days, I don't use that function in Onyx. I don't bother with S.M.A.R.T disk status or Verify since they're established and safe.

The most important function of Onyx, from my p-o-v, is repairing permissions. I still run maintenance scripts occasionally, and update system optimisation (not full - takes forever and is largely unnecessary).

Try Onyx' screen shot function ie. it puts all pics in a folder which you designate and put where you want it. Saves clutter on the desktop.

One other thing, maybe it isn't necessary, simply a gut feeling, but I quit all open applications before running Onyx.

Other than the above, I just let Onyx do its thing. I'm pleased to note your positive response to its use, I wish more people who encounter niggling problems with the MacOS would do so.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, i just ran it, i also installed Deeper and Maintenace as well, not knowing what the difference was, now i do. It's a nifty set of software. Thanks for the intel. I actually am still noticing that noise though unfortunately, just with Firefox open. I also wonder if it's little snitch, if you have heard of that before. And i don't think Stuffit 13 does it either.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip i ran the ONYX program and it fixed my Safari. The noise does seem to be happening anymore as i went into Entourage preferences and put the notification to no mail sound.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip i ran the ONYX program and it fixed my Safari. The noise does seem to be happening anymore as i went into Entourage preferences and put the notification to no mail sound.

Good, i'm glad Skid_o. You know what hughvane, ever since i ran Onyx, my computer keeps making loading noises for about 15 mins after it has booted up, even when i'm loading nothing. Is that normal, especially when i have 4 GBs in there? I honestly haven't noticed a difference in performance with the new RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.