• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple brings HDCP to a new aluminum MacBook near you

Reaction score
High Definition Content Protection (HDCP)—you can't live with it, but you practically can't buy an HD-capable device anymore without it. While HDCP is typically used in devices like Blu-ray players, HDTVs, HDMI-enabled notebooks, and even the Apple TV in order to keep DRMed content encrypted between points A and B, it appears that Apple's new aluminum MacBook (and presumably the MacBook Pro) are using it to protect iTunes Store media as well.

iTunesHDCP-large540.png

Link

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Funny how the media just caught onto this now. The whole purpose of DisplayPort (and HDMI to some extent) is to control protected content and keep it from being recorded between the source and the monitor. The same goes for BluRay players and most other HD sources. These schemes are nothing new and certainly not specific to Apple or its products.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think this could be why the composite/s-video adapter was dropped?

I doubt it. It's not as if it impacts anything other than protected HD content. Many people use their computers to display home video, pictures and presentations. I'd be willing to bet they'll eventually release a mini-displayport versions. That's probably not at the top of the agenda at the moment though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Actually the previous Macbook pro was HDCP compliant too if I remember rightly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
I understand why they put this in, but it irks me that I can no longer watch my own iTunes media on my $900 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Bummer.

Reaction score
There is an easy fix for this problem, Its called bitrocket and it works great on a mac :)

Reaction score
Piracy is your answer?

:Not-Amused:

I dont agree with piracy, but I would be quite annoyed if I bought the movie and I cannot watch it on my own screen.

So my question is if I download an HD movie from iTunes and go from mini display port to an apple cinema sceen its going to block me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
I'm probably being stupid, but if when you buy a movie off iTunes and you can't watch it, what are you supposed to do with it?! Or where are you supposed to watch it? Isn't piracy protection and all that supposed to stop the pirates watch it rather than the people who buy it, legally?

Mike

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm probably being stupid, but if when you buy a movie off iTunes and you can't watch it, what are you supposed to do with it?! Or where are you supposed to watch it? Isn't piracy protection and all that supposed to stop the pirates watch it rather than the people who buy it, legally?

Mike

Nope, you're not being stupid in the least. Thus is the conundrum with DRM in general. For the most part, it only hurts those who lawfully purchase content. The pirates will always find a way around it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
hmm. Maybe apple have taken it slightly too far.
The copy protection is the main reason I don't tend to buy stuff off iTunes! Particularly movies/TV shows.

Hopefully they will come to their senses.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm. Maybe apple have taken it slightly too far.
The copy protection is the main reason I don't tend to buy stuff off iTunes! Particularly movies/TV shows.

Hopefully they will come to their senses.

Well, considering the stance that Apple (Steve Jobs, in particular) have taken against DRM, I suspect it's organizations like the RIAA and MPAA that are driving this and not Apple itself.

Apple only sells the content at the discretion of the content providers. If they demand DRM, there's precious little Apple can do if they want to sell the product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.