Transfering iTunes Library & Playlists from Mac to Mac

Reaction score
I'm having trouble transfering my iTunes Library from my old PB to my new MB. While transfering the library isn't a problem, I can't seem to get the playlists/ratings/etc to show up on the new MB.

I've tried just copying the iTunes Music folder to the new MB but it doesn't work at all. Can't get the playlists to show. The new MB with the absent Firewire port doesn't help either. I had to transfer through an external HD. couldn't start the MB in target disk mode.

I've tried consolidating the library on the PB then importing from the MB but again the playlists doesn't show up. Am running the latest itunes 8 on both laptops.

The closest I've come is to importing the library.xml file. However there's always the same error which says, 'Cannot save library. Unknown error (35) occurred'. I've tried changing the path files from:

<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://localhost/Users/desmond/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/</string>

(This is taken from the exported xml file from my old PB)

to:

<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://Macintosh HD/Users/Desmond/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/</string>

The iTunes Music directory on my new MB is Macintosh HD/Users/Desmond/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

I did a 'find and replace' with Text Wrangler and replaced 'localhost' to 'Macintosh HD' and 'desmond' to 'Desmond'

I'm not familiar with the programming language but should I be replacing the path to:

<key>Music Folder</key><string>file://Macintosh%20HD/Users/Desmond/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/</string>

assuming %20 means 'space'?? or should i do a find and replace on Text Wrangler to the entire line and just not the words 'localhost' & 'desmond'??

This is really driving me nuts!:Shouting: Please HELP!!!!!

Desmond

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Did you hold option while starting iTunes? A dialog wil appear and let you select the library you want to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.