PC Formatted Hard Drives on an Intel Macs...What do I do?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

This is my first time posting here, so I'm looking forward to getting to know many of you.

I've been a Mac/PC person for years. But just recently bought an Intel Mac. And I have a dilemma. I have a project that was edited using PC - Windows Adobe Premiere and all of my files are saved to PC-formatted hard drive.

I have windows running on my Mac and want to run Adobe Premiere on the windows side. I am concerned that if I plug in my PC-formatted external hard drive to my Mac, it will erase all of my data.

How can I get around that? I know some people had mentioned some software programs, but I'm not sure if this applies to my situation. If I were to use the software, will it erase what's already on my drive?

Thanks so much guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Plugging in a PC formatted external drive will not erase it. If it's FAT32 OSX will mount and both read and write to it. If it's NTFS Formatted OSX will read from it so you can drag your Premier file over to the Mac. You can get Paragon software and OSX will then both read and write to a Windows NTFS drive.

I see you want to use the Windows side and actually run Premier. Should work fine.

I have several external drives plugged into my Macs, some OSX, some FAT32 and one NTFS.

OSX never erases a drive without asking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.