• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Audio ahead of video on DVD burn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Hey guys, this is my first post, as most of the problems I come across have already been answered before, but this one I cant find anything. I burned a movie using toast, and when I put it in the DVD player the audio was about 15 seconds ahead of the video. Obviously rendering the disk useless. So I thought I'd use Isquint and click "Optimize for TV", and then try it. The file created by Isquint now has same problem (played in Quicktime). When I play the original file (avi.) in Quicktime Sync is fine. Any ideas what is causing this problem? Thanks for the time and help in advance.

Reaction score
I have same problem...

I have been frantically searching through forums for days looking for a solution. So far nothing has worked. It seems like no matter what I do or what program I use, the same thing keeps happening.

Basically:

- I have an avi file that plays just fine in quicktime (and other players like VLC)

- I first used Popcorn 3 to burn it to DVD, and the audio is about 5 seconds ahead of the video. I tried again this time in toast titanium 9, and same thing happened.

- I don't know too much about codecs, but figured this might be related to the problem. After a few searches, installed perian, and I still have the same problem.

- I tried using iDVD, and I get no audio at all with that option.

- I also tried converting the avi file to an mpeg and a mov, and no matter what format I convert to, the audio is still out of sync.

If anyone can please please please shed some light on this, that would be great... thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
You should try Visual Hub by Techspansion. I have had many movies in formats like AVI, MPEG, and MP4 that have had the audio and video not match, like it was a few seconds ahead. But Visual Hub has been able to fix that for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If the entire audio is available, what I would try is to convert the file to an Apple Intermediate Codec, export the audio to a separate AIFF file at 48Khz, then use an appropriate editor to bring them back together and align them manually if need be. Also disable the audio track of the video which will still likely be there.

The reason I suggest the AIC format is this will help to exclude incompatibilities of AVI if any.

Reaction score
VisualHub Worked!

Thanks for the quick responses!

I tried VisualHub and it did the trick! It's too bad that Techspansion isn't going to be offering it anymore, but i found an older version that worked. It seems like a really important piece of software to have, so is there anything else out there that works this good?

Thanks again!

OP
Davidk02
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for responding guys. Can you tell me where you found the older version of VisualHub? The one I keep finding is 1.34, but it says it is no longer available for download. Thanks again.

OP
Davidk02
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found it. Thanks again for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.