• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ugh, I needs me a new phone and you can help me choose!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd probably be looking at Sony Ericsson's offerings or a Blackberry...

Ericssons are cool, but I thought they didn't use T-Mobile's service? I could be wrong, I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Samsung Behold <3

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
People seem to be in favor of the most expensive handset on the list.

Oh boy. You folks have expensive taste!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Blackberry Storm looks pretty hot, but of course, it's exclusive to Verizon for the time being.

Have you considered the G1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'd just avoid the Sidekick like the plague.. Having worked for T-Mobile, I can't count how many of those I had to do swaps/replacements for.

If you're in the market for a SmartPhone, stick with a Blackberry-made product. Seeing as how they've pretty much pioneered the technology already, you know you're going to get a reliable/stable device.

Also, iPhones can be had for a lot cheaper than they used to, just buy an unlocked one (or do it yourself), and bring it to T-Mobile. I've talked to lots of people who've done that when I worked for them.

The Blackberry Storm is a sexy looking phone. I personally would prefer one over the iPhone, and I cannot wait til Telus gets them soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I thought it was called HTC S620 lmao. Anyway, that phone is one of the BEST I've ever held in my life. It has everything, its WiFi is even better than the Tytn II's, and you will not notice much of a difference between its camera and all 2 MP cameras. But the Nokia N95 (8gb) seems to be your best choice and is currently the best Nokia phone there is, besides the E71i and E90. So it all depends, if you want a better camera then go for N95, if not, then go for HTC S620. It's pretty nice.

Reaction score
If it were me (and I am going thru the same process), I would first 1) eliminate carriers based upon weak signal strength. If the signal strength is not good it does not matter how great the phone is, 2) Make a list of features I need (first) and then another list (second) of features I want and compare those lists to the phones those ISP's that are left have. I would then pick my phone based mainly upon list #1 being met (most anyway). List #2 would be looked at as a bonus if any are achieved. I doubt if you will get all you want in any phone.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it was called HTC S620 lmao. Anyway, that phone is one of the BEST I've ever held in my life. It has everything, its WiFi is even better than the Tytn II's, and you will not notice much of a difference between its camera and all 2 MP cameras. But the Nokia N95 (8gb) seems to be your best choice and is currently the best Nokia phone there is, besides the E71i and E90. So it all depends, if you want a better camera then go for N95, if not, then go for HTC S620. It's pretty nice.

Yeah, the camera and media player functions are really important to me.

Have you considered the G1?

I actually had a G1. Had to send it back a week after I got it because the hinge was starting to fail on me.

If it were me (and I am going thru the same process), I would first 1) eliminate carriers based upon weak signal strength. If the signal strength is not good it does not matter how great the phone is, 2) Make a list of features I need (first) and then another list (second) of features I want and compare those lists to the phones those ISP's that are left have. I would then pick my phone based mainly upon list #1 being met (most anyway). List #2 would be looked at as a bonus if any are achieved. I doubt if you will get all you want in any phone.

Well, I'm already with T-Mobile, and I love it. I wouldn't leave.

And I actually have made the two lists of needs and wants, and these phones meet them fairly equally.

These phones are the ones that met my needs, but the N95 is the front runner because it has such a good camera along with an awesome media player, which are the two most important things on my want list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I voted for the Curve. Mainly for the fact that, it uses a standard 3.5mm Headphone jack, so if you're like me with a sweet pair of Skullcandy's (or other good headphones), you can use that for movies/music.

It also has a camera, which a lot of other Blackberry models don't have. Like most smartphones, it has expandable memory, again for the purpose of media (pics, movies, music, and applications).

Not to mention the Blackberry OS's interface kills Windows Mobile 6 by a long-shot.

Now, Windows Mobile is definitely useful, but it can get quit sluggish at times. I found myself constantly ending apps using the "Task Manager" so that it would free up system RAM and make the phone run quicker, as well as not drain the battery so much.

I've had my S720 replaced 3 times, and I ended up canceling my contract with them, and went Pay-As-You-Go, for the time being.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I voted for the Curve. Mainly for the fact that, it uses a standard 3.5mm Headphone jack, so if you're like me with a sweet pair of Skullcandy's (or other good headphones), you can use that for movies/music.

It also has a camera, which a lot of other Blackberry models don't have. Like most smartphones, it has expandable memory, again for the purpose of media (pics, movies, music, and applications).

Not to mention the Blackberry OS's interface kills Windows Mobile 6 by a long-shot.

Now, Windows Mobile is definitely useful, but it can get quit sluggish at times. I found myself constantly ending apps using the "Task Manager" so that it would free up system RAM and make the phone run quicker, as well as not drain the battery so much.

I've had my S720 replaced 3 times, and I ended up canceling my contract with them, and went Pay-As-You-Go, for the time being.

See, the only problem I have with the Blackberry is that T-Mobile wants $450 for one, and when I can an N95 for $370, I'm really leaning that direction.

The N95 runs on Symbian OS, so I don't have Windows mobile to worry about, it also has a 3.5mm headphone jack, along with dedicated media keys and a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. The only real downside to the N95 is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, which I'm sure I'd get used to again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
That's how I am with getting a new phone. I only want one that has a QWERTY keyboard. I will never ever go back to using a keypad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
See, the only problem I have with the Blackberry is that T-Mobile wants $450 for one, and when I can an N95 for $370, I'm really leaning that direction.

The N95 runs on Symbian OS, so I don't have Windows mobile to worry about, it also has a 3.5mm headphone jack, along with dedicated media keys and a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics. The only real downside to the N95 is the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, which I'm sure I'd get used to again.

All you need to do is buy an unlocked Curve for cheaper.. Don't pay the full price for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Wait a few more weeks and see if they get the Blackberry Storm!

Lol. I don't know if they will but I love that phone. I'm switching to Verizon for it (as well as because ATT won't replace my broken blackjack and the service sucks here)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 13" MacBook
Blackberry 8800/8820 are pretty good phones to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Yeah, the camera and media player functions are really important to me.

I actually had a G1. Had to send it back a week after I got it because the hinge was starting to fail on me.

Well, I'm already with T-Mobile, and I love it. I wouldn't leave.

And I actually have made the two lists of needs and wants, and these phones meet them fairly equally.

These phones are the ones that met my needs, but the N95 is the front runner because it has such a good camera along with an awesome media player, which are the two most important things on my want list.

AT&T is the worst signal ever. Anyway, if you like camera and media then you should definitely go ahead and buy a Nokia N95 (8gb) not the silver 2GB one because it's much better, smaller in size, and looks nicer.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AT&T is the worst signal ever. Anyway, if you like camera and media then you should definitely go ahead and buy a Nokia N95 (8gb) not the silver 2GB one because it's much better, smaller in size, and looks nicer.

Well, I found a great deal on the silver one, and I already have quite a few micro SD cards just kickin' around, so on the memory front I'll be fine, plus I like the way the silver one looks. I think it's purdy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.