Mac mini 80 gig HD

01AWW18T

Anyone know if the 80 gig HD in the mac mini is 5400 rpm ? and does it have 2 meg or 8 meg cache?

Reaction score
i do know that is a 4200. i may be getting a 60gb 7200 drive for mine though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
It's 2.5", so 7200 isn't an option yet...

EDIT: Sorry, I correct myself, just saw that there are 2.5" 7200 drives... :(
But heat might be an issue at that speed...

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I am on my Mac Mini as we speak. I did upgrade my original Mini 40 giger to a 80 gig. I am not sure what RPM is, but its a sweet ***** unit!! Very very quite, smaller then my external burner and it does not even get warm. I finally figure out how to get on the web and this was the 1st place I came to.

-I am still trying to get used to the Mac format. Some little things I really have to get use to like no scroll mouse and Safari is windows explorer. lol

Btw,, how to I inlarge my view of this site? I click that green button on the top of the webpage but its only about half the size of my 17" monitor. Can I get a bigger view while on the web?? If so how? I clicked on View and there seems not to be noting to enlage my browserr to full view. :(

OP

01AWW18T

Hi Shift, if you figure out what the speed is on your 80 gig HD or even the model number. can you let us know?

Thx

shift said:
Hey guys!! I am on my Mac Mini as we speak. I did upgrade my original Mini 40 giger to a 80 gig. I am not sure what RPM is, but its a sweet ***** unit!! Very very quite, smaller then my external burner and it does not even get warm. I finally figure out how to get on the web and this was the 1st place I came to.

-I am still trying to get used to the Mac format. Some little things I really have to get use to like no scroll mouse and Safari is windows explorer. lol

Btw,, how to I inlarge my view of this site? I click that green button on the top of the webpage but its only about half the size of my 17" monitor. Can I get a bigger view while on the web?? If so how? I clicked on View and there seems not to be noting to enlage my browserr to full view. :(

Reaction score
How can I find out?? Is there a properties setting. I am not to stong on Mac computers. Been a long time I ever even messed w/ one

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Shift if you want to make a window bigger. Just click and drag the right corner edge. Drag to the size that you want it to be.

Reaction score
Rman, thanks bro. That was easy. I did learn a lot today.

I did look at the HD info and it does not tell me the HD rpm speed. It tells me what is avaliable and used and other yadda yadda yedda, but no rpm speed.

By the looks of it, it does not seem to fast. I am doing a dvd backup right now. And the gig dvd was about 7 gig and the rip time on Mac the Ripper was about 25 minutes. And now on dvd2oneX doing the full movie in constant mode and 4444mb its about 35 minutes to completion. The hard drive is now a little loud since I am compress that dvd movie file from the HD. Over all I bet its a 7200 rpm. It just would not make too much sense to put a 5500 rpm HD, that is whats in my PC laptop. Over all my expression for dvd backup, Mac's are too slow.
I perfer my pc to do that work. And my Mac to play w/ graphics and photo/movie/capture and editing. Over all I am happy w/ the Mac mini it's unique.

Reaction score
pretty sure it's a 4200 from talking to the dude from apple.com

Reaction score
Really 4200 ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Now I know why it was slow at ripping. Here is my report:

I feel backing up dvds on a mac is a slow process and can take over 1.3 hours.

This is a 3-step process using: Mac The Ripper, DvD2oneX and Toast (or other burning tool)

Here is the time frame on a 7.22 gig movie:

Mac the Ripper - Rips full movie at 25 minutes into HD folder 7.22 gigs

DvD2OneX - Copies, compress FULL 7.22 movie into another folder in 35 minutes at Consistand MODE.

Toast (Burner) - Depending what speed disk you use, lets just say 4x dvdR about 14 minutes.

Grand total time wasted: 1 hr and 14 minutes.

-----------------

While on a PC:

using shrink: about 25 minutes
Nero to Burn: 15 minutes

Total time wasted: 40 minutes.
(My pc is a 1ghz Duron w/ 20 gig hd LAPTOP by Compaq).

Well you choose?

I will do dvd video backup on my PC. As for my mac I will be doing Video editing.

Untill Mac comes out w/ something like Shrink from the PC. PC is my hand of choice to do my dvd backups. Hurry some one make a SHRINK for Mac's :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
DVD Shrink is a very FAST program that is for sure. I think that is part of it. It Flys on my P4 2.53Ghz. I tried Mac The Ripper on my G4 500 and it took maybe 45 minutes but for a 500 G4 that is really not that bad at all. I wish they would do a OSX version of DVD Shrink. It's the best program I have used to backup my DVD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
shift said:
Really 4200 ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Now I know why it was slow at ripping. Here is my report:

This is a 3-step process using: Mac The Ripper, DvD2oneX and Toast (or other burning tool)

DvD2OneX - Copies, compress FULL 7.22 movie into another folder in 35 minutes at Consistand MODE.

Toast (Burner) - Depending what speed disk you use, lets just say 4x dvdR about 14 minutes.

-----------------

While on a PC:

Well you choose?

I will do dvd video backup on my PC. As for my mac I will be doing Video editing.

Untill Mac comes out w/ something like Shrink from the PC. PC is my hand of choice to do my dvd backups. Hurry some one make a SHRINK for Mac's :p

Using the same tools, it taks me about 15 minutes each on a PowerMac G4 1.25GHz. (ripping, converting burning)
Ok, my disk is fater, the CPU has 1MB of Level 3 cache and I have lots of memory...which all has an impact on the speed...

OP
J

jfenton

Let see why this is bull

shift said:

-----------------

While on a PC:

Well you choose?

Make no mistake about the speed of the mac mini. It may be slower than other macs, but its speed in ripping moving or other processes is dependent on the software you use. I have never used any of the mac software that this guy used, but let me explain what I do know. Mac the ripper is a ripping program, that is all. It allows you to copy a movie to a harddrive. DVD2OneX is a compressing program. It will compress a copied movie. Toast is for burning. Now comes the real distinction. DVDShrink (which I use quite often) is often referred to as a transcoder. It allows DVD ripping and compressing on the fly that is why its so fast on a PC. Its not that the mac is slower your just using more programs. If you assume the ripping and transcoding (as in DVDShrink) is a simultaneous process with no compremises in time. The time to rip and transcode (25minutes for a mac) and burn is actually 1 minute faster than a pc.

So to sumerize, the mac is not slower at dvd ripping you just used more programs. That does not make it slower.

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
DVD Shrink is a very FAST program that is for sure. I think that is part of it. It Flys on my P4 2.53Ghz. I tried Mac The Ripper on my G4 500 and it took maybe 45 minutes but for a 500 G4 that is really not that bad at all. I wish they would do a OSX version of DVD Shrink. It's the best program I have used to backup my DVD's.

I think what I am going to try to do is install VPC w/ Windows2000 and install Shrink. I wonder how it would do. hummmm..... :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shift said:
I think what I am going to try to do is install VPC w/ Windows2000 and install Shrink. I wonder how it would do. hummmm..... :spook:

Just forget that...it will be way too slow.
VirtualPC only emulates a PC, and therefore it's speed is not even close to any actual real PC, not even if it runs on a dual 2.5GHz G5.

Reaction score
Avalon, oh ok. thanks. It was worth a shot.

But hey. I ran across this and check out the HD rpm THAT you can get for the Mac mini: http://www.memorytogo.com/componex/comp_modeldisp,mid,99126394,cartid,{A3E7AA04-3BDF-4F99-BFAA-23C148EVEREST215AE8}.htm

Reaction score
Also by the looks of that link above, there is not even a 5400 or 4400 rpm HD they sale. Are you guys sure that the Mac Mini only comes w/ the 4400 rpm hard drive (HD)??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shift said:
Also by the looks of that link above, there is not even a 5400 or 4400 rpm HD they sale. Are you guys sure that the Mac Mini only comes w/ the 4400 rpm hard drive (HD)??

Yes, it's definitely a 2.5" 4200rpm drive. 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives (2.5" size) are quite expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.