What to do with an old eMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
i got my parents a new iMac today and they told be to get rid of the old eMac they were using...it is having some issues so i am not sure how reliable it will be even with a new install of the OS.

any ideas as to what i could use this thing for? i hate to just dispose of it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wipe the hard drive, re-install the OS, do the best you can to get it running, and then donate it to an under privileged child.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
there hasn't been any problems with the video...only what appears to be hard drive issues.

i very well may donate it to a friend...that will be my probable outcome unless something wows me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be sure to tell your friend it is for parts only lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
there hasn't been any problems with the video...only what appears to be hard drive issues.
i very well may donate it to a friend...that will be my probable outcome unless something wows me!

Don't you take any notice of Harry - he's got a thing about eMacs. :D

If the eMac you've got is not having capacitor problems, and the hard disk issue you refer to is readily fixed, then indeed donate it - or sell it and give the money to a charity. The way things are going financially, money for food is as good a gift as any to someone who doesn't have a job or income.

If it does however "wow" you, then let us know, so we loyal eMac owners can gloat :Evil: and share our terrific eMac experiences!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another suggestion ~ they sure make great anchors!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Wipe the hard drive, re-install the OS, do the best you can to get it running, and then donate it to an under privileged child.

Regards.

That what I do with my gear wish someone would have done that for me oh
wait they did not have this when I was a kid a calculator from TI or HP
was out of the budget then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
i got my parents a new iMac today and they told be to get rid of the old eMac they were using...it is having some issues so i am not sure how reliable it will be even with a new install of the OS.

any ideas as to what i could use this thing for? i hate to just dispose of it.

Why not just fix it? Use it for the same thing I used to use my eMac for...They make a whale of a jukebox. They have great speakers installed in them. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.