• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie files are too big

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I got lazy while I was ripping my copy of Gone Baby Gone, and the Handbrake resulted in a 2GB file. My girl and I are wanting to watch it (via streaming to my xbox 360) but the files are too big, and I let my brother borrow the actual DVD for the week so he and his wife can watch it.

I need to get the file down to 1GB. I've tried FFmpegX, but it results in a squished view where everyone looks tall and thin, of it has a green stripe on the very bottom... What do I need to do?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I've managed to get a hold of a few programs, and have tried them out:

MPEGstreamclip
FFmpegX
handbrake (as of yesterday)

MSC did the job, but the resulting video was brighter and had lost tons of quality. I have attached an image with the original file on the right.

FFmpegX had the squished video or the green stripe

Handbrake is actually running right now, and I will post it's results in a minute or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
all those are good programs, you may need to tweak the settings but try different codecs

try MPEG-4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
On the Apple Website there are tips to making your movie file sizes smaller as well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
all those are good programs, you may need to tweak the settings but try different codecs

try MPEG-4
Yeah, Mpeg-4 is the only codec i use. I need to have h.264 so that it can play on my 360. Handbrake was the winner in this tiny competition of mine, it was nice because I already had the presets configured, and now I can use it on the files i made too big in the first place.

The only thing that I could find on the Apple site was things about their FinalCut Suite :(

Oh, and I tried uploading a picture of the results, but it just will not let me upload the screenshot (less than 1MB), it says it's uploading, but then it just hangs there for a few minutes...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.