Connecting to my XBOX360 using macbook wifi

Reaction score
Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this , I am completly stuck.

My router is connected to my macbook via ethernet. My xbox has a wireless adapter. I am tryig to connect the macbook to the xbox using the internet sharing on the mac so that I can get onto xbox live. I have tried manual configurations of the xbox , it can see the broacast name but cant get any further. I'm pretty sure the manual IP addressi have configuerd onm the XBOX is correct because i can use the internet on my iphone from my macbook .. and checking the router ./ DNS settings are the same .. the only differnce is i have given the xbox a differnt IP ,

please anyone with anyideas would be greatly appreciated ..

Thanks
Simon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Am I correct in assuming that the router you speak of is not a wireless router? If not, I would consider upgrading to a wireless router instead. Using the Mac as a wireless access point adds a degree of complexity to an already difficult configuration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
the xbox requires a router of some sort and as far as I am aware the mac wont provide traffic routing and NAT which the xbox needs for live.

Get your self a cheap dlink router like the 524 which will do the job for you.

Reaction score
I succeded in doing something like that by running the following script (instead of using Internet Sharing):
sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
natd -interface ppp0
ipfw add divert natd ip from any to any via ppp0
likely you have to change from ppp0 (the connection name of my USB mobile modem) to en0 (ethernet)
Wireless addresses fo MAC (en1) and XBOX must be set manually unless the XBOX wireless adapter has a DHCP, I suggest 10.0.2.1 on MAC and 10.0.2.2 on XBOX but any value other could be Ok

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.