Grey Screen, Folder & Blinking Question Mark, Eep!?!

Reaction score
I was downloading a file that my friend sent me, when I turned away my Macbook started making a horrible noise (crackling or scratching almost). I attempted to restart thinking it might be a li'l tired but it didn't respond so I force shut down with the power button.

No upon load up I get a grey screen which after a minute displays a folder with a flashing "?".

Is this resovable? I am currently at work so am unable to access my Apple discs at the moment but will simply reinstalling the operating system resolve this. I don't care if i lose anything, I simply want a health computer :Grimmace:

Thanks guys!

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
A flashing folder with a question mark in it means that there is not operating system on the machine. Did you enter your password?

OP
prettyinpunk
Reaction score
it won't allow me to enter the login sequence, it simply boots up with a blank grey screen, then this folder appears.

i don't mind if i need to reinstall everything. but is there any special procedures i need to follow (e.g. will the macbook allow me to enter a CD even if it's not loading up correctly? do i need to press a sequence of buttons? etc).

i fear the file i downloading may very well have been a virus. so i guess reinstalling the OS will fix the issue. i could have almost broke into tears when it happened :(

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Did it ask you for a password?

There is no OS on the HDD. Pop in the disc and it will work. I highly doubt it is a virus that is why the password is important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
I was downloading a file that my friend sent me, when I turned away my Macbook started making a horrible noise (crackling or scratching almost). I attempted to restart thinking it might be a li'l tired but it didn't respond so I force shut down with the power button.

No upon load up I get a grey screen which after a minute displays a folder with a flashing "?".

Is this resovable? I am currently at work so am unable to access my Apple discs at the moment but will simply reinstalling the operating system resolve this. I don't care if i lose anything, I simply want a health computer :Grimmace:

Thanks guys!
Do you know were in your Macbook the scratching noise came from?

Based on your description it sounds like your hard drive might have died. Since you don't have your install discs you can try target disk mode using firewire (if you have a friend that has a mac) to repair or to check that your hard drive is o.k.

OP
prettyinpunk
Reaction score
that does not sound good!! :'( my computer has recently been making a quiet beeping noise recently, that i was told could be the sign of the hard drive going. Nooo!!

where on the apple website may i find out if my macbook is still in warranty? thanks

OP
prettyinpunk
Reaction score
hmm, estimated expiry is 31st December, I shall go home to see if i can install osx, if not looks as if it'll be a rush to stormfront after work tomo :'(

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini that was doing that same thing (minus the noise).
I took it to the Apple store and they said it was the HD failing.
It was out of warranty and I didn't have the money to buy a new HD so I just had them leave it torn apart and I took it home.
I used an external USB cable and hooked it up to a Windows machine and basically deleted the partitions on the drive and formatted it the long way.
Reinstalled it in the Mac and it let me reinstall OSX.
It started hanging up a lot so I bought a Refurb MacBook and am giving the Mini to my brother.
He's already bought a new HD and is coming up this weekend to get it.

To make a long story short (too late) it sounds like the HD is going/gone bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Sounds like a bad HD. Sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.