Blank DVD+R appears as Untitled CD in finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 MHz RAM OS X 10.5.x
I insert a blank DVD+R into the drive and it pops up the Blank DVD inserted - Choose an action box. Click OK to 'Open in Finder' then when I open it, it shows up as Untitled CD.fpbf!?! If I try to drop anything onto it to burn that is bigger than what can fit onto CD, it says it is too large, so it definitely sees it as a CD and not a DVD.

Any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Are you sure that you have a DVD burner? Have you burned DVDs with it in the past. If it is a CD burner/DVD player, it might recognize a blank DVD as a blank CD.

 > About This Mac > More Info... > Disc Burning

Should tell you what you have under the 'DVD Write' tab.

EDIT: Just realized you are using 10.4. I gave the location of the drive info in 10.5. The location may be slightly different...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB 667 MHz RAM OS X 10.5.x
Yes I do have a DVD burner and I have burned DVDs before. I think I might have already burned something onto the DVDs reporting as CDs and it might have been on a PC. I'll load the discs into the PC and see if there is anything on them already. If there is something on them, I wonder why my Mac is showing them as Blank CDs and not allowing me to explore the contents of the discs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.