Maintaining OS X. How?

Reaction score
So I just got my MB couple weeks ago. I want to maintain it so its running optimal all the time. I know for XP I used to defrag every now and than, do a virus scan, disk cleanup and clear my registry.

What can I do on a mac? Is there such a thing as defrag to make it run faster again? I don't think I have viruses, but what about disk clean up? Anything else? Anything I can use to delete install files? I'm not really sure how the system format works on a mac either, but anything and everything to make my baby run smoothly would be helpful. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In a word - Onyx! Titanium Software A great application for keeping your Mac OS running sweetly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
you can also open terminal and type...

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There is a thirty five day trial version of Macaroni available free and it runs all those maintenance scripts automatically. Full registered version is less than $10.00.

Here is the link:-

Macaroni | atomicbird

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.