Mail application not working

Reaction score
So I'm using a MacBook with OS X Leopard 10.5.5 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Pretty basic right? I'm connected to the internet, obviously. I have a Gmail account that works beautifully, I can login and all.

But I would love to be able to take advantage of the Mail application, my mail right on my dock? What more could I ask for?

But for some reason Mail insists that my password for my Gmail account is wrong when I try to have it automatically set it up, even though I can log in to Gmail with the same login and password on the website, and I can't figure out at all how to set it up manually so that it will actually work.

Here's the message I'm getting:

"Trying to log into the Gmail POP server "pop.gmail.com" failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn't correct, you cannot receive your email."

Please help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.