MacBook Aluminum Boot Times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Hey guys, I know we were discussing this is a separate thread but I figured it might benefit people "of the future" to have it on it's own. I've been thinking that my current MacBook boot time is slower than my previous white one (I don't have it anymore) so I wanted to check. I know SSD and more Ram have a positive effect on boot time so please list your stats. Guess I'll start: :)

Macbook AL 2.4 GHz/ 2 GB DDR3/250 GB HD->75GB used

Cold Start is roughly 40-45 seconds

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That doesn't sound right? >_>" I'm using the previous generation MB and it boots up in like 18-22 seconds and this is with a regular HDD not a SSD. If I had a SSD it would probbably boot from 12-18 seconds.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
It takes my MBP with 4GB of RAM and a 7,200rpm HDD about 35seconds to boot up. If that helps, I don't know.

OP
walkum13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Maybe it's the RAM? Both of you have 4 GB but I though Ram only comes into effect when I try to open multiple things not boot up. I've been searching on YouTube and this sadly looks the norm (45 sec) for start up. Hopefully Snow Leopard will be faster :Grimmace:

Here's a link with both computers...both boot ups seems slow too, is this normal afrer a while?
YouTube - Boot Up Test Aluminum Macbook 2008 2.4 Ghz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Unless it starts to approach five minutes, boot time is irrelevant.
What matters is what your computer does and how it performs once it's booted up.

Any number of factors will increase or decrease the boot time, including but not limited to:
  • Amount of RAM (more RAM means longer boot time)
  • Amount of items in Startup Folder
  • HD speed
  • Processor Speed
  • Disk capacity

Another reason why boot time is a moot issue is because OS X really isn't intended to be constantly booted. It is designed to be left running at all times.
It doesn't harm your computer if you leave it on or just put it to sleep, so there is really no reason to shut down your computer every day.
If you're going to travel or don't plan on using it for a couple of days, then I could see shutting it down. Otherwise, there is no need to.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Before you ask. Yeah I am bored today. I just made this really quickly.

YouTube - MacBook Pro Boot up time

I like edit but I have no use for it. Any excuse to sit in front of my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Cold boot: 10-15 seconds
Specs in Signature ;o)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
Copy and Paste...

This is what I wrote in other thread so you have the info if you want it:

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD:

1st attempt: 45 Seconds
2nd attempt: 40 Seconds
3rd Attempt: 50 seconds (plugged into power source)
4th Attempt: 40 Seconds (plugged into power source)
5th attempt: 38 Seconds (plugged into power source)

I have about 95 GB left on my 160 GB Hard drive and I have VM Ware Fusion and Windows installed on my laptop. I dont know if that has any impact on my startup time.

I never have more than 2GB of Ram being used unless I open Windows in VM Fusion. I can open every allpication I have and they all respond extremely quickly without any slowdown.

OP
walkum13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this on another post and figured I would pass it on....thanks Mac57 ;)

Lets start with booting. You may be able to speed up your boot process by understanding the fact that Mac OS X reads and preloads icons for everthing that is in your Documents folder and everything that is on your Desktop. Taking this concept to heart, if you keep a tidy desktop with the smallest number of items possible on it, and minimize the number of files you keep in your Documents folder, you may notice an improvement in boot time. I take this concept to heart myself, keeping only 5 icons on my desktop and keeping all my personal files in a separate "My Documents" folder as opposed to Apple's intended Documents folder. The only things to be found in my Documents folder are items that have been placed there by applications that store configuration information there. Microsoft Office is a notable offender in this regard, storing a hierarchy of folders there.

Still on the topic of booting, make sure that you know what items are being loaded at login of your user account, and eliminate any of them that you don't feel are needed. You will find the list of login items in your System Preferences, Accounts, your_user_id, Login Items.

Here's the entire thing: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/112295-how-speed-up-your-mac.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 8,1 C2D 2.66
When you plug your mac to the wall do you keep the battery installed?

Did you know that if you plug your mac to the charger but with the battery out the processor speed is reduced by half. This can affect boot times...

Yes, keep your desktop clean and tidy as well as your documents folder. Ojne thing i noticed is that the system becomes "slower" on boot when you have your drive partitioned. If you keep only one partition on the entire drive the system runs and boots much faster.

As well, the stock factory install never gave me much confidence. When i get a new mac i always format the drive and make a new install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks walkum13 for the link. I found it helpful. I'm going to go clean up right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
coming from a windows machine I was VERY impressed with the under 1 minute boot time.

When I boot my vista machine I can go make a sandwich, fix world economy, help develop hybrid cars and the thing is still booting up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.