Switching to Mac, MacBook, MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a video editor and I'm looking to switch to an Apple Laptop to do editing and other memory required tasks. I'm not doing anything huge like editing sitcoms but I need the editing to be quick and seamless. I was wondering if you would suggest a MacBook or MacBook Pro. I'm also in a budget so if there are older systems that can still compete could you recommend them to me?

Thanks a lot!

Darrin Crow

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Why not just get the MBP before the late 2008 Aluminum models?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Whats your budget and your desired screen size?

OP
E
Reaction score
My Budget? Well anything around 1000, and that's a little big, but my desired screen size would be 15'' as any smaller would be hard for editing. I need some names of the older Macs, as I'm having problems because it seems they just keep the same name for the new ones... And when I mean older Macs, I mean not clunkers but with good ram hd and such...

Thanks for helping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
15" and for $1000, I guess that's kind of hard to find but you can still go for a used (1st generation non Aluminum) MacBook Pro 15" with the lowest specs (the very first standard one) and upgrade the memory from 2GB to 4GB because that's important since you'll be using a lot of applications that require high memory usage. It's just my suggestion, take it or leave it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
15" and for $1000, I guess that's kind of hard to find but you can still go for a used (1st generation non Aluminum) MacBook Pro 15" with the lowest specs (the very first standard one) and upgrade the memory from 2GB to 4GB because that's important since you'll be using a lot of applications that require high memory usage. It's just my suggestion, take it or leave it.
All Macbook Pro's are aluminum. But I guess you mean non-unibody... problem is you can only put 2GB of RAM in the first generation MacBook Pro, which is going to be a little limiting in the long run.

My advice: Try to save up a bit and buy the aluminum 13" 2.0Ghz Macbook. The new graphics card will do fairly well with video editing apps and the CPU is quite a bit faster than the first gen. MacBook Pro's CoreDuo.

And when you have some money saved up, you can upgrade all the way to 4GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.