Crossover and Steam problems.

Reaction score
So I got the free crossover program when they had the promotion out and its been working pretty well so far. One problem is that I am trying to install the demo for Left4Dead through steam but whenever i click the link nothing happens. I'm guessing because crossover doesn't recognize my browser?? is there anyway to install games in steam if they aren't already in your my games? thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I got the free crossover program when they had the promotion out and its been working pretty well so far. One problem is that I am trying to install the demo for Left4Dead through steam but whenever i click the link nothing happens. I'm guessing because crossover doesn't recognize my browser?? is there anyway to install games in steam if they aren't already in your my games? thanks.

Do note that Crossover is pretty hit or miss. Some applications it works great with, others not so much. Did you check to see if Steam is on the compatibility list?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That's a known issue according to CodeWeavers. One solution: Install firefox for windows into the same bottle, click "install l4d demo" on the steam website in firefox and then tell it to open that link in steam.

I was trying to play the portal demo that way, but I could never get it to work and just used boot camp in the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.