Web server / port forward inconsistent results

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to setup a basic web server using my machines at home. I have an Imac 10.3 and a MacBook Pro 10.5. The Imac will be the Web server. I have created a dummy web page in the sites folder on the imac. My router is a 2Wire 2701HGV. I changed the port forwarding to open everything up (DMZ). I was able to see the site from my office which was good. I then tried to improve security by just opening Port 80 to the Imac and this would sometimes work/sometimes not even on my home network when typing in the external IP address. Now I have tried everything, back to DMZ, etc and can't access the site other than when I am using the internal IP 10.0.0.1 address. So, was working, now not. Nothing was changed after the point where I had the site visible using only Port 80 opened up. I simply went away from the machines. It went to sleep, I opened up and no go. Does nayone know what to do?

OP
D
Reaction score
Some more info on this. I think it has to do with dynamic assignation of IP addresses. So what I understand is that my router reboots at some regular frequency and then gets a newly assigned IP address. I also believe that my 2 macs will be dynamically assigned when they start up as well. Is there an easy way to have the router retain a fixed address (it is a 2Wire 2701HGV) or do I have to contact the provider? Can I also fix the addresses internally of my macs?

Reaction score
You can setup the router to give each mac a specific ip address. Check your router docs.
As far as the outside ip, contact your provider about a static address or use something like DNSUpdate.
Most providers use dynamic ip's, they change your ip at certain intervals or whenever you restart your router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.