I need a word processor...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, iPod Classic
My macbook that I purchased around a month ago didn't come with a comprehensive word processor, only TextEdit, which would be sufficient in theory, (I'm a college student and just need it for typing papers, notes, and maybe some light graphing) but it's just too small and I don't like it. I've tried all of the free word processors that I could find: NeoOffice, OpenOffice, Bean, Abiword, etc. I didn't like any of them.

So my question is, which word processor do you use? What do you like about it? Is it free, or did you buy it? I'm considering purchasing one, but can't fathom laying down 200 bucks for Word or buying the entire iWork package. What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
If you have any older Mac OS's around, you could try Appleworks. (Panther and older) If not, check Ebay for iWork. Might be the cheapest way to go.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have any older Mac OS's around, you could try Appleworks. (Panther and older) If not, check Ebay for iWork. Might be the cheapest way to go.

I don't have any copies of Appleworks, but I could probably find it on eBay. What's the latest version of it, and do you recommend it?

I don't think I'd want to buy iWork...way too many programs I'd never use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I use iWork.

Appleworks is a collection of software just like iWork and MS Office. It's discontinued so you won't find any new updates or anything.

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use iWork.

Appleworks is a collection of software just like iWork and MS Office. It's discontinued so you won't find any new updates or anything.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Guess I'll try to find a cheaper iWork somewhere. I wish Word wasn't so expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'd warmly recommend AppleWorks. The fact that it's been discontinued in no way makes it unworkable. There are a lot of formatting options available. My only minor reservation is that it seems a trifle 'clunky' in comparison to Word. AppleWorks 6.2.9 was the last edition. Apple - Support - Search

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
May I ask what features you found lacking in NeoOffice/OpenOffice? I've yet to find anything that I use in Office 2003 (for Windows) that are lacking in those suites. In fact, the look and feel of OpenOffice's Wordprocessor is much closer to what I'm used to with Word 2003 than the Mac versions of Microsoft Office (both 2003 and 2008).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
May I ask what features you found lacking in NeoOffice/OpenOffice? I've yet to find anything that I use in Office 2003 (for Windows) that are lacking in those suites. In fact, the look and feel of OpenOffice's Wordprocessor is much closer to what I'm used to with Word 2003 than the Mac versions of Microsoft Office (both 2003 and 2008).

I agree. The latest OpenOffice is stellar in my opinion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Oh, I didn't know that.

Guess I'll try to find a cheaper iWork somewhere. I wish Word wasn't so expensive.
we paid $70 for Office at my wifes university.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I use NeoOffice (even became a fan of them on Facebook lol) and the awesome program has not failed me yet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I use OpenOffice 3.0, which is now native, and similar to NeoOffice.

For a couple of other choices (not free, but very powerful and user friendly), consider:

Nisus Writer Pro

or the cheaper version, Nisus Writer Express

and for the best in terms of multiple-language (especially RLF) support, superb styles, and multiple note streams.
Mellel

OP
batsy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It's not that I found any features lacking, the program just didn't seem to work right on my machine. When I would change the default font to say, Times New Roman, that font wouldn't show up until I restarted the program and instead, the words would be in a strange unknown machine-like font. It seemed to be full of bugs and was also very slow to work with.

That was NeoOffice. I'm going to try OpenOffice again (it didn't work the first time I tried to open it).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.