Using iPhone 3G with PDANet on AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Hello all, I was just wondering if it would be legal to use PDANet to get internet access on my MacBook through my iPhone 3G. I wouldn't use it for excessive amounts of data, just email and eBay, and a few other things like that. Also, would AT&T be able to tell that I am using it for this and that it is connected to my Mac?

Thanks so much,
ardillo9344

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Reaction score
tethering will be allowed by AT&T soon, not sure when exactly, but its coming.

they can tell if you are tethering, but its going to take a LOT of usage for them to notice. occasional email and brief web surfing should not raise and issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's not exactly illegal, just a violation of the iPhone EULA since it'll require you to jailbreak your phone.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I can always restore from a jailbreak though. So, I guess it's definitely something to consider... Just makes me nervous...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you're only using it for casual browsing, then it'll show up on the network as nothing more than as though you were using mobile Safari. Don't pass the 5GB mark per month and you'll be fine.

I used to tether all the time when I had my Windows Mobile phones on AT&T and the company never said anything because I was only using it for casual browsing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.