ipod broken, Need help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
I recently recievied a iPod 5th gen. from a friend. Upon boot up it displays the Sad iPod icon. I looked around on the net and heard of the ol' bang the iPod trick and tried it. It still wont work so I opened it up and turned it on and listened to the hard drive but nothing. I'm not sure if its the hard drive because I can't hear anything from the hard drive (too quiet maybe?). Any help would be appreciated. If anyone would like to donate a hard drive I'd be rather happy.
Thanks
comraderaikov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
The sad iPod icon I believe is a hardware failure. My Mini displayed that icon around summer, and I've had it since 7th grade (I'm a junior in high school now.. lol). It was indeed a hardware failure. The hard drive spun then clicked suddenly. Obviously it was permanently broken.

I would advise getting a new one, because right now no matter what you do that thing is just a paper weight.

Now I have heard of people putting their hard drives for their computers in the freezer to have it work long enough to recover data, but I do not know if that would entirely work for an iPod HD.

Like I said, I advise getting a new one.

The best of luck to you.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Well...Right now I don't want to buy another one and i also tested the logic board and all the parts and they all work (tested in a friends iPod :p) expect for the hard drive. So, would the sticking it in the freezer work perhaps? idk, just a thought.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Update.
Well...I maybe getting a hard drive from another iPod, but I'm still wondering if it would be possible to repair that hard drive as I can use it in other iPods. Me being me I don't like to take apart a perfectly good thing for nothing and i like more than one of something :D .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You could look for another HD on eBay. I'm sure they have something! ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Ok.
I managed to get it to go into disk mode and semi install on a computer. When it went to install the driver for a USB Mass storage Device the iPod rebooted and the driver installation stopped. Any ideas? Apparently, it's not the Logic board or any other part but the hard drive. I tested the logic board and it worked perfectly fine. I tried the hard drive and I think its just a problem of the partition on the disk is corrupt and needs to be repaired. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Update-
Sticking a hard drive in the freezer does NOT work. just makes for a really cold hard drive. ;) Ice hard drive anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Update-
Sticking a hard drive in the freezer does NOT work. just makes for a really cold hard drive. ;) Ice hard drive anyone?

A long time ago, I (jokingly) told my wife that I had heard that that the leaves on the houseplants would turn greener if you watered them with ginger ale instead of water.

A week later, all the plants in the house were dead and she was not happy. I told her, "I didn't think you would actually believe me and try it." That made her even less happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A long time ago, I (jokingly) told my wife that I had heard that that the leaves on the houseplants would turn greener if you watered them with ginger ale instead of water.

A week later, all the plants in the house were dead and she was not happy. I told her, "I didn't think you would actually believe me and try it." That made her even less happy.

Now *that's* bad!! haha.

Well the "HD-in-the-freezer" thing is just for data recovery.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Well...
I got it to work finally! Not sure to the full extent of the repair but I got iTunes to recognize it and Windows Explorer sees it. Now I just got to update the firmware and see the extent to which it works. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
Fun fun...
I checked all the hardware and its the hard drive. Kinda funny, it will attempt to repair it then it restarts halfway though. It shows up in Explorer as Removable Disk but the file system is a RAW FS. Apparently, the hard drive makes a clicking sound now and again. Still looking for a drive, I just don't have the money for eBay's overpriced crap. If anyone has on they'd like to trade for more 5th Gen. parts, let me know. I'd be willing to pay up to about $30 for one but bills come first. :) I have two other iPods to trade for a hard drive if anyone would be interested. They just have dead drives (otherwise I'd be using them :p).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fun fun...
I checked all the hardware and its the hard drive. Kinda funny, it will attempt to repair it then it restarts halfway though. It shows up in Explorer as Removable Disk but the file system is a RAW FS. Apparently, the hard drive makes a clicking sound now and again. Still looking for a drive, I just don't have the money for eBay's overpriced crap. If anyone has on they'd like to trade for more 5th Gen. parts, let me know. I'd be willing to pay up to about $30 for one but bills come first. :) I have two other iPods to trade for a hard drive if anyone would be interested. They just have dead drives (otherwise I'd be using them :p).

Since I'm planning to take my 5th gen classic (the first gen iPod video) apart, I could give you the HD for like 15 bucks. heck, I might as well give you the whole iPod! I'll post pictures so you can see what it looks like. It's no gem anymore, but it works ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
for the entire iPod, maybe like $45. It's scratched up and battery doesnt last long (I guess about 2 hours watching videos). It was $250 when first bought.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G3(Beige)
sweet.
I got to wait till payday. :( Would you take a money order? I don't have PayPal anymore cause they messed up with my credit card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.