Mini mac clusters......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
since these mini macs are so affordable and powerful, has anyone considered making a mac cluster for image rendering or video conversion, becasue you could buy 4-5 of these for the price of a single dual G5.......any thauhgts? (as you can see from my post count i am a newbie but it just seems like such an obvious use for them)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I dont know if thats possible, the mac minis would need a pci x gigabit ethernet card, which they do not support. they could probably combine with a powermac g5 or something as a hub and all work as a cluster that way.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
could you not just use the normal ethernet port on the back of them like you can do with pc's? or are you just talking about using the normal ethernet port and using a g5 as a controlling node?

P

proudlywelsh83

In effect you would have to link each Mini Mac together. As Macman said you would ideally use a gigabit card so you would have a much higher bandwidth. The first would link to a G5 or your main editing machine then each mini mac would have o have a second NIC in order to interconnect them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yer sounds pretty much the same as clustering pc's under win2k server edition, would be interesting to give it a go, see how they stack up dollar for dollar against a g5 cluster

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.