Backlight issues with 16GB Ipod touch

Reaction score
So, I received a handmedown Ipod touch from an acquaintance, it's in good shape, the back has basic wear but no damage has been done to the unit. It's worked well until recently when the backlight has started going out. It's gotten to the point that the backlight won't even turn on anymore though the rest of the ipod functions normally. My question is rather two parted. First, what could cause this? Is it fixable? and secondly the serial number says it's still under warranty but since I'm not the original owner will they do anything for me?

OP
M
Reaction score
Since there was no help offered for me on this question I'm hoping this might help someone if they end up with the same problem.
Apple determined that my touch was not repairable and thus replaced it with no questions and no problems. I asked if the backlight issue was common and they did say it's something they do see but it doesn't seem to be super regular.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.