home network problem

D

daktafari

I’ve recently had ethernet wire installed for a network. I have a Power Mac G3 233 and an iMac connected via a Linksys router. I followed the directions as outlined in a Macworld article Dec 2000 that Linksys has a link to on its website (including the TCP/IP information). I upgraded the ethernet extention on my Powermac to 2.0.4 (from 2.0.1). I am on a cable modem from Comcast. My problem is the severely marked degradation in speed (slower than a dial up connection) noted when the system is active as compared to when the cable modem is directly connected to my powermac . On the Linksys router, the “full/col” and “100” LEDs do not light up on the powermac port but do on the iMac port when either or both computers are on line. I have replaced the router but the same problem occurs. I was expecting to lose a “little” speed but this is rediculous. Any suggestions?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have similar setup. I have a G3 PowerMac 233Mhz , G3 iBook 500 Mhz and a G4 Powerbook 500Mhz connected to a linksys router. The cable modem is connect through the WAN port. I use ports 1-3 for my devices.

What version of the Mac OS are you running On each of the Macs? Can you connect through the cable modem with no problems?

OP
D

daktafari

The Powermac is 8.1 and the iMac is 8.6. Both work great when individually connected to the cable modem without the router.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you running DHCP on the router and do you have DHCP turned on each Mac Or are you assigning Ip addresses?

OP
D

daktafari

DHCP is turned on for each Mac but I'm not sure re: DHCP on the router. The IP address is supposed to be dynamic (per Comcast) but when I check the TCP/IP screen, it is always the same. Where do I check to see if the router has DHCP turned on?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On one of you Mac, set your web browser to the router ip address and log in.

Basically this is what should be going on: Comcast your ISP is servering you an IP address, which your router can see. The router is your DHCP server. Which in turn supplies IP addresses for you PowerMac and iMac.

OP
D

daktafari

"On one of you Mac, set your web browser to the router ip address and log in."
Yes, I did that.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After logging onto your router, click the DHCP tab. DHCP should be enabled. On the setup tab, your configuration should be similar to the following: WAN connection type is Obtain IP automatically; netmask is 255.255.255.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you might be using cables that aren't rated for 100mb speed. make sure you are using all cat5 cables

OP
D

daktafari

rman said:
After logging onto your router, click the DHCP tab. DHCP should be enabled. On the setup tab, your configuration should be similar to the following: WAN connection type is Obtain IP automatically; netmask is 255.255.255.0.
I'll check that out tonite when I get home (I'm on my work computer now). Thanks.

OP
D

daktafari

trpnmonkey41 said:
you might be using cables that aren't rated for 100mb speed. make sure you are using all cat5 cables
Yes, all are cat5 cables.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:

I was going to get to the cables. Since it is on the table all of the cable should be straight through, except for the one connecting the cable modem to the router which is a cross connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it was great i took my power book which has gigabit ethernet to my dads office which has a gigabit network. they only use cat4 cables because they dont feel like opening the walls to upgrade so i plugged into the hub in the IT department with my cat6 and damnnnnn that was fast it was great

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
it was great i took my power book which has gigabit ethernet to my dads office which has a gigabit network. they only use cat4 cables because they dont feel like opening the walls to upgrade so i plugged into the hub in the IT department with my cat6 and damnnnnn that was fast it was great

I wish I had that must bandwidth. I just can not pay the price. So I have to deal with the 10/100 that I have, which is down to 10 Mbits due to the ISP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my dad is the managing partner in charge of the funds for the IT dept so he gives them a tonna money to get all the stuff they want so they have an amazing setup in the main office and since none of the associates complain about internet speed they havent had to upgrade the wiring

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
daktafari - So how is it going, did you resolve the problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.