Why does my "Get Info" facility crash my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 ghz Intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 2.4ghz
I have a 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo imac running 10.5.5 with 2gb sdram. Gosh, that sounds like I know what I am doing, but nope, I read that in the About This Mac thing. What is happening is that when I use Get Info to try to check the size of folders, or files I have created (like photoshop images), the screen suddenly goes dark at the top, and then scrolls down until the whole screen is covered and there is a message in the centre telling me to restart. No reason given, just do it. Anyone help me fix this problem? It started a few days ago, but there is no new software added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I like your candidness :D This reads to me like a RAM problem. Three things to do in the interim:
1. Run a hardware test from Disk Utilities - this will check the RAM function,
2. Run a System maintenance application, Onyx being the best,
3. Check the physical seating of the RAM sticks in your iMac. If you don't feel confident to do that, leave it meantime and see what Nos 1 & 2 achieve.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done that man!

Had never heard of Onyx (except I have an Onyx typeface) so I downloaded it and ran every check I could. Most information it gave me had something to do with permissions having hyphens where they shouldn't have (and vice versa). Anyway, problem seems to be fixed. It might be imagination but I suspect I am opening browser pages a bit quicker too. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Good news! No, you're not imagining it, Onyx will have cleared browser caches which become bloated with use, thereby slowing down browser speed. Run Onyx, say, once a month, but you won't need to do everything it can do every time, be a bit selective. Permissions repair should be a regular event though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hughvane, do you have Time Machine?

Do you have Time Machine on your imac. Mine came with it but I have never been able to get it to work. Opens OK, but then nothing. Get Info tells me Time Machine was last modified February 22 this year. I bought the comp new this year, after that date. Cant find any hints to get it running, and I desperately need a backup done .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have Time Machine on your imac.

Sorry Squbby, missed this post. No, I operate with Tiger, can't help you with 10.5. Post a question in Operating System with a title like 'No Time Machine' or similar.

Failing that, simply transfer the files that are valuable to your HD and need to be kept, using the time-honored drag-and-drop method.

Cheers ....... Hugh

PS - PM me if there's something specific you want to ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.