My Firefox 3 And Safari Won't Download Apps On Leopard

Reaction score
Hello, I need some help with a problem I have reserched around the web and can't seem to find an answer. The thing is... for the last few days I haven't been able to download apps on Safari or Firefox 3. I can get them on Opera and I don't have a problem downloading say RAR files. This is very weird I have no idea what to do...

Thanks and please HELP!

Reaction score
Me too

I think I have the same problem..
I used to be able to download anything with Mozilla Firefox (Mac OSX Leopard) but now I can only download RAR files. Anything ZIP will not work...it just has a blank page and the bar keeps loading but nothing happens...
Exactly the same problem in Safari too so I have been opening Internet Explorer for Mac (which is terrible) whenever I want to download ZIP files which is daily.

I have cleared my cache (which is set to auto clear anyway) and also set all my security setting to just let anything through, no problems with my firewall either..

Help!?

Reaction score
I have this problem too.

.zip & .dmg files try to load in the browser (FF3) and if the download link is not a direct link, there's no way to get the file (well there is, but it's f___n annoying).

Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to have to reinstall all my addons, bookmarks, settings.

Reaction score
Yes, I quoted .zip but I can't download .dmg either..
.rars are still fine though...
Any answers????

Reaction score
I used to have problems with dmg files, in the end I got so frustrated that I reinstalled and restored from my Time Capsule and it's worked since, but it was VERY long winded. I had to use igetter each time I wanted to download them.

Reaction score
hmm, I only just got a time capsule so I don't have any timemachine backups to go back to. I have iGetter though so I'll try using that instead of a whole new browser. Better than nothin!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried right-clicking and selecting "Save Link As" (or whatever the equivalent is for you)?

Have you tried completely removing the app using something like AppCleaner?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Remove the problematic browser with something like AppCleaner. So, drag the app onto the AppCleaner app and have it remove the app along with all associated files. Then reinstall the browser.

Reaction score
this just happened to me tonight, my firefox and safari wouldnt download any apps or zip files. after searching for a while, found out it was Speed Downloader, and i uninstalled it incorrectly or something, and it wasn't letting e download anything. if you do have that installed, try uninstalling it, or reinstalling then uninstalling properly. since doing that, everything is working fine now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this just happened to me tonight, my firefox and safari wouldnt download any apps or zip files. after searching for a while, found out it was Speed Downloader, and i uninstalled it incorrectly or something, and it wasn't letting e download anything. if you do have that installed, try uninstalling it, or reinstalling then uninstalling properly. since doing that, everything is working fine now.
Absolutely. I had forgotten about the problems S.D. caused some individuals. Do you have it installed?

Reaction score
Absolutely. I had forgotten about the problems S.D. caused some individuals. Do you have it installed?

i did, but deleted it with AppZapper instead of uninstalling it normally. but i reinstalled then uninstalled regularly, and now everything is working normally.

Reaction score
If you seek eh? YEAH!

That appears to have fixed it... I almost lost-the-plot here in my office about 5 minutes ago.

Then searched for the problem again and found my way back here.

Found SpeedDownload Browser Plugin.plugin in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

*Sigh of relief*

So if you can't download zip or dmg files hunt down and kill anything called Speed Download. Now to find the developers of it…

Reaction score
I downloaded SD a while back but thought I had uninstalled it because I now use iGetter. Since an archive and install (done for other reasons) I haven't re-installed SD and everything appears to be working fine :)

Reaction score
THANK YOU for posting the solution to this, I've been trying to download iTunes 9 all day and I thought I was losing my mind!!;P

Reaction score
Thank you for this answer. I was having the same problem (Firefox and Safari wouldn't download files when a link was clicked, while Opera had no troubles), and I looked in my Internet Plug Ins directory and found the plugin for SpeedDownload right there, even though the application had been removed a while ago.. Removing it solved the problem.

Thanks to this forum for fixing this headache!

...James
Bow. James Bow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.