• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

terminology pet-peeves in your everyday life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Political Correctness - this country suffers terribly from it, as do others I know.

So, how about the Happy Holiday debate? We still say 'Merry Christmas', or 'Have a Good Christmas' here in NZ, perhaps we're not as hypersensitive as some cultures to the notion of insulting other religions, we tend to be a bit more live-and-let-live. So, if Happy Holiday should ever become part of our culture, my response will be "thank you, you have a wholly happy day".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
But I do agree that the Ram is a show truck. A Cummins diesel is a great engine, but come on. Dodge can't manufacture a decent transmission to save their company. Towing with a Dodge cuts the lifespan of that transmission in half, no matter how good your maintenance.

Don't forget how poorly the front suspension is too. :D

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
how poorly the front suspension is what?

;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
--Those who have no respect for punctuation

--People who cannot spell "definitely" correctly

Everywhere I look on the internet, people keep wanting to type "definatly". Drives me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i do not believe that any of those things are related to terminology. ok, well maybe one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.5.5,24",Pioneer DVD -RW External Burner
we all have one or more people around us in our home or work lives that just can't get terminology right; things like saying "oh es eks" rather than oh es ten".

there's a woman at my work who says "port hole" every time she refers to our company's website "portal". makes me chuckle inside every single time.

another guy always says "san disk" when referring to the tapes in our open systems "SAN" storage. ex: "hey, eric, i just boxed up those san disk tapes for our daily rotation". silly.

anyone else have any of these to share?

Ok , this could be just me ..... PEOPLE WHO EAT THEIR HAMBURGERS UPSIDE DOWN ! .... I want to slap these people so hard their dog gets dizzy !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Terminology? Difficult sometimes to differentiate terminology from jargon, but here goes:
"I thought I'd just touch base with you regarding ...." Well I'm too old and rotund to be touching bases.
"I wanted to tease this ..... matter out with you." I'm not a hairdresser, nor do I spin wool or other fibres.
"We can now look for closure and move forward." Aaaaaaaagh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
--Those who have no respect for punctuation

--People who cannot spell "definitely" correctly

Everywhere I look on the internet, people keep wanting to type "definatly". Drives me nuts.
I've noticed native speakers have a hard time with vowels...
- belive/beleive
- their/they're/there being the same
- affect vs. effect

but that's not really terminology.
in terminology i'd say people who see no difference between an EP and a 7" :Smirk:

Reaction score
It grates on my nerves to hear someone say "Call in the calvary". Calvary pertains to the death of Christ. It is cavalry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
But I do agree that the Ram is a show truck. A Cummins diesel is a great engine, but come on. Dodge can't manufacture a decent transmission to save their company. Towing with a Dodge cuts the lifespan of that transmission in half, no matter how good your maintenance.

I went through two of them on my dodge when I had it (and towed with it). The people I knew with a manual tranny did fine.. it's their autos that suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Technical side: Mine would be when people say; Windblows, windoze, Micro$oft, M$ etc.

Car side: When people call ANY 4x4 a Jeep. Probably just me because I own a Jeep though.

Life/day to day: Scottish accent at times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Terminology? Difficult sometimes to differentiate terminology from jargon, but here goes:
Corporate jargon/buzzwords? Don't get me started on that. Here's a fake communication I wrote for the sake of buzzword mockery. My boss got a good laugh out of it:

The C4 is committed to its customer base. Without them, we are unemployed. They are our bread and butter. Because of this, it's mission-critical for us to remain customer-centric. Just because one may feel they are only the tail on the dog, does not mean one can't pull the trigger on thinking outside the box in order to fast track a solution implementation which can bring to fruition things that are thought of as pipe dreams or pie in the sky. There are a number of things we can do to make the strategic fit into the job jar:

• Be able to prioritize tasks in order to determine what's boiler-plate material and what requires service at ground zero.

• Keep one another in the loop. This means touching base, picking each other's brains, brainstorming, thought-showers, engaging each other, consistently pinging each other, and keeping a viable knowledge base in order to facilitate knowledge transfer. Shooting messages and firing off emails are an easy way of accomplishing this. It may be necessary to take certain conversations offline, however.

• Create synergy. For all intents and purposes, it is what it is. We can be the first past the post if we apply critical thinking going forward.

• Although it may not always be on your radar, fine tuning your skill set is beneficial to you as well as your counterparts.

• Maintain an open door policy to facilitate face time. We are a team after all. Working together, we can divide and conquer any house of cards in order to get all of our ducks in a row. If you open the kimono on something and feel you can't wrap your head around it, consult a knowledge base, engage others. You never know. You may find your ace in the hole while running something up a flagpole.

• Try to maintain a helicopter view of the swine's ear. You don't want to lose focus while putting out fires and juggling hot potatos while you're fighting in the trenches. By repurposing our assets, we can turn that ear into a silk purse moving forward.

• At times, you may be asked to parachute in on something post-mortem. Avoid moving the goal posts and finagling things to merely give the impression of seamless integration. We don't want to just throw things against the wall and see what sticks. We need to be on the same page about this. Sometimes an off the shelf solution works best, other times not.

• When the rubber hits the road, we need to push the envelope. To avoid winding up dead in the water, we need to triage issues as they pop up, instead of just tabling them. There may be times when you'll need to fall on your sword in order to leverage a new game plan. However, it's important to keep ourselves in the ball park at all times.

• When we are asked to pass the baton, we shouldn't simply think that the ball's in their court now. It's important to leave an audit trail and maintain knowledge transfer. It works out to be a win-win and people aren't left doing head scratches.

• Don't over-extend yourselves by doing a long slide on a short base. It can cause additional issues which can sometimes be transparent. Also important is the delegation of duties. If not careful, we could have a fox guarding the hen house.

• One more temperance I would like to add is about our pride. Though it may be second nature to 3M-itize things as they come up, it's important to know that we have many dependencies outside. We don't want to say we have more indians than others.

Let's put a bow on this and stick it under the tree. After all, we have our cake already. We just need to frost that sucker.

Regards,
C4 Leadership

Reaction score
I cant stand when people pronounce the h before the w, i.e. "hwite"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Corporate jargon/buzzwords? Don't get me started on that. Here's a fake communication I wrote for the sake of buzzword mockery. My boss got a good laugh out of it:

LMAO!!! (and I hate it when people say LMAO) That is "definatly" getting cut and pasted into my business plan for 2009 and sent to my boss!

+1 for that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Corporate-Speak: "Addressing issues" :Grimmace:. Some of the corporate types I've met couldn't address an envelope!
[Torment] I once sat through a "motivational meet" (whatever happened to 'meeting'?) when the person trying to motivate us stood to respond to a query and said ... 'This is an issue that needs addressing, so the first thing you need to do in your management position is knuckle down and address the issue." Wow!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.