White MacBook 2.16Ghz (MB402B/B) 4Gb Upgrade - help

Reaction score
hey all, I am new here (and to the Mac phenomena) so treat me gently...

I have just purchased a White MacBook 2.16Ghz (MB402B/B) direct from the Apple online store (woop!)....

I will be needing to Max out the memory to 4Gb but simply couldn't afford the Mac upgrade during purchase (£150 - yeep)..

as such, i'll be fitting 3rd party RAM..

I wanted to ask - can my machine (MB402B/B) handle the 800Mhz (6400) or only the 667Mhz (5300) modules? Wouldn't want to shoot myself in the foot by forking out on the lower spec...

As for products, as far as I can tell, my choices are:

667Mhz Corsair kit - like here
667Mhz Kingston kit - like here
or, if I can use 800Mhz - something like this

any thoughts or advice?

yours hopefully, eighty0ne

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
the 800Mhz will work but only at 667Mhz. So it is best to buy the cheaper slower RAM anyway.

OP
E
Reaction score
aah.. thanks for clarifying B&O...

does anyone have any suggestions on UK products/suppliers or are my links the best options...?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Those are alright, however I would be a little concerned because the volts are a little bit on the high side, which might effect your battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Have a look on ebay.

I got two 2gb sticks a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

OP
E
Reaction score
hey Crimson, hey Mike - thanks for your words of advice.. what exactly should I be searching for...? battery life is especially important to me so any mishaps in that department would be heavily frowned upon...

how about either of the kits I linked in my first post?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
hey Crimson, hey Mike - thanks for your words of advice.. what exactly should I be searching for...? battery life is especially important to me so any mishaps in that department would be heavily frowned upon...

how about either of the kits I linked in my first post?

The first one you listed from Crucial is good I think. I prefer Kingston RAM, but the one that you listed is CAS 5.

I have these in my machine right now. They are a little on the pricey side but I rather pay more for something that I know is of high quality. That's just me though. I think you will do perfectly with the crucial ones that was listed in the first post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
The ones on play.com will be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.