Help needed with system removal, migration

Reaction score
I need a process to remove my old system 10.5.5 from first partition of my drive--it apparently became corrupted (see backup info below), and my final resort was to reinstall a new system on the 2nd partition. In addition, I want to return to the user preferences, desktop, application aliases, mail, etc. that I had when the breakdown occurred. Is there a simple way to do this without reintroducing a 2nd system? Can/should I do it with migration or time machine?

Thanks for any advice and your time--

----------------------
(backstory:) The machine refused to boot after a failed install/update of adobe products. For 4 days, I tried everything I could find online or knew about without success: boot, reboot, single user, zapped pram, reinstall earlier time machine, disk repair from install disk. I always got "disk appears to be OK" messages, but permissions would never be repaired without a freeze (followed by hard restart), and the reboot would go into a continuous loop of trying to restart (grey screen with fan, black screen, chime--repeat). As a last resort, I installed new system on the 2nd partition, and that seems to get the machine started, but now I need to access mail, etc. as it existed before. Thus my questions above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Try using the Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder. The thing is, you'll likely need to first create a second account with administrator privileges to do the migration to your current account from the one on the old drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.