To potential switchers - Macbook Performance

Reaction score
Just a funny tidbit worth considering.

Yesterday I sat down with an associate to review heat load calculations that are run in windows under a particular program. It is a pretty math-intensive program and uses a fair amount of resources.

I opened up a file and hit the "preview reports" button to generate a series of calculation reports. My friend commented, "wow, I can't believe how fast your computer generates report previews". I laughed (to myself), because my computer is a year and a half old, and is really a mac running bootcamp, while his had just purchased a new windows laptop, complete with 4 gigs of ram, vista, and the latest whiz-bang processor, which he spent $1200 on.

Macbooks faster than mine now sell for under $1000 at my local electronics store. So for the cost of the macbook, and $200 more for xp (uggh - if you need it like me for work), you have a PC superior to most PC laptops, and you still have something a lot better for your personal life. And remember, a new PC means VISTA, ugghhh.... Well, on the bright side, a Vista laptop means you will have time to make breakfast, while your PC boots up.... And it does let you know about EVERYTHING that happens in your operating system (even when you don't want to know)....

So, if you are on the fence, I really don't know why you are still there. If you work with windows, yeah, you are still going to need it, and that means bootcamp. But for other things like internet, email, and media editing, the mac is better. Why not have it all?

My top reasons for buying a mac as your next computer:

1) Save, secure internet surfing. You are UNIX based, not Windows based. That makes a world of difference.
2) 15-20 second startups, and lightning-fast shutdowns.
3) It can do everything your PC does plus more. Like running XP instead of the dreaded Vista (mandated on all new PCs), and well, with most things, where you DON'T need a PC, you still have a Mac.
4) Tons of freeware apps for every possible need. Remember, porting a linux app for Mac is pretty easy too, so lots of cool linux things end up in the Mac arena. I have found freeware for nearly every need on my Mac. It's just nuts, really. The amount of really cool programs for Mac is just way out of proportion compared to Windows from my perspective.
5) Linux users won't laugh at you the way they laugh at windows users (you share the same core with them) LOL, just goofing around on that one, but it's true.
5) For those of you concerned with aesthetics (not my thing, but it matters to some), Macs look way cooler, and more modern.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Good post I think. Although Macs aren't for everyone. There a few things that make them less mainstream, which is probably a good thing in disguise.

The pricing on Mac hardware is a little on the expensive side. Talking about the Mac Pro compared to other custom made Desktop PCs.

I like to tinker around with computers and Overclock stuff, which isn't exactly easy to do on a Mac.

Most people that build their own rigs are hardcore gamers or computer geeks that like to mess around with computers. Which leads me to gaming on a Mac. Not that it's any different or worst to game on a Mac it just that games aren't ported so have to run Windows. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
As you say the Mac is more expensive.

However you do get a machine with a purpose built operating system rather than an operating system built for who knows how many generic clones.

That i think is what makes Macs SO good that i don't mind paying the extra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Also, XP is an OLD operating system. Vista... wow the price sucks compared to OS X.

OS X = 300 new features, stable, secure, 64 bit $130

Vista Home Basic = calculator, solitaire, minesweeper, 90 day trials, 32 bit $200

WOWWWWW Microsoft way to go!! and your only 64 bit OS that includes half the features as OS X is over $300!! How about M$$$$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.8GHz. 320GB@7200.
As one who just converted back to a Mac (MacBook Pro - see my specs in the sidebar), I believe this Mac will do everything I need it to do. As for Vista, I've only played with it while considering a newer PC, and was led to believe the OS works on a capable PC. But in the end, I decided OS X was the way for me to go. Granted it's only been a week using this new Mac, but I am very happy with my choice. Like the person said above, I too believe it all depends on the user's needs.

Funny thing though - I always seem to choose the hobbies that cost the most.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
technically vista is not mandated on all new windows pcs. many manufacturers still offer xp on brand new machines.

Reaction score
The $89 "OEM version" of XP is a good alternative to the $200 full version. No problems on Fusion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.