• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Haggling with a cell phone provider on handset price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I had to send my G1 back to T-Mobile after the hinge broke on me six days in to owning it. They credited me for the S&H, and I told them I wasn't interested in being sent a replacement. I'm a little soured on the G1, so I'm considering either an N95 or a BlackBerry Curve.

If I go the N95 route, I'm obviously not getting it through T-Mobile, but if I get the Curve, I'm probably going to go through them.

The problem lies in, they want $450 for the Curve, which, in my opinion, is ridiculous, especially considering that I've been with T-Mobile for ages. The cheapest I can seem to find is $400, assuming I want to restart my contract (not gonna happen). By comparison, I can get the N95 8GB for $400 on it's own, and AT&T only wants $329 for a BlackBerry Curve without a contract.

Is there any way to talk them down on the price of the handset? I could always give them the "Well, maybe I'll just have to cancel my contract" line, but I don't know how well that works.

Any suggestions other than that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Trust me, my replacement sidekick was one where it freezes, locks up occasionally, loses connection, and the "battery cover removed" warning appears, even though the back cover is on. And that usually ends up me accidentally having the phone shut down, and then afterwards my myfaves contacts quadrupled (right now my girlfriends phone number has been copied 20 times.)

*sigh*

anyways, I think you should discuss about the headset. I'm pretty sure they already have heard the "im going to cancel my contract" line many many times. Tell them that you are already under a budget while still paying for their service. Make it seem like you are financially upset, make them look like that you're so loyal, that even though you are financially upset you still pay for their service. play the "give me sympathy" card.

or if they can view your financial status then I wasted your time by having you read this garbage text.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyways, I think you should discuss about the headset. I'm pretty sure they already have heard the "im going to cancel my contract" line many many times. Tell them that you are already under a budget while still paying for their service. Make it seem like you are financially upset, make them look like that you're so loyal, that even though you are financially upset you still pay for their service. play the "give me sympathy" card.

or if they can view your financial status then I wasted your time by having you read this garbage text.

Well, generally, the "I'm gonna cancel" line is the one that gets them to do pretty much anything for ya.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Use both lines ;)

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use both lines ;)

Thinking about it. It's alot easier to have sway when you do it in person too, so I may walk on up to the T-Mobile store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Just walk in and tell them you are canceling to go to AT&T. When they ask why, tell them you want an iPhone and then let them talk you into staying with the phone you want at the price you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thinking about it. It's alot easier to have sway when you do it in person too, so I may walk on up to the T-Mobile store.

Yeah that usually helps too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.