• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HD Monitor question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Hey this is for you guys who are familiar with HD components and all that good stuff.
Currently, I have a Gateway HD 2200 monitor that I use for gaming. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to it via HDMI, and a 2.1 gaming speakers from Altec Lansing. It works like a charm.
I'm thinking about hooking up my PS2 to the same monitor but as I checked the rear, the gateway monitor has the three video component inputs, but no audio. The picture comes up great, but its a drag that there's no sound.
Is there a way to get the sound hooked up given that the only inputs my monitor has are HDMI, DVI-D, Component Video (no Audio), and a green input for external speakers? Or will I just have to find an old tv and hook it up via A/V?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Easiest and least messy would be to get some computer speakers that allow for multiple inputs. I have a little higher end (several years old now) powered 5.1 setup with 5 inputs on them. Have connected the computer, Xbox, and satellite, all of which run through the same monitor. You should be able to find a 2.1 system in the $75-$100 range with at least dual inputs.

edit: May not be easy after I went looking around. Looks like the Bose Series 2 fit the bill. Found a couple of others under a hundred on a quick look,but only had a 2nd input for like an ipod,so probably only a 1/8" stereo input. Although, you could probably get a RCA to 1/8" cable or an adapter that would work for those.

OP
leecho7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Thanks for the info, will definitely give that a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.