My Macbook had been sitting OUTSIDE for a whole night .

Reaction score
Hello , guys .
I just bought a refurbished macbook from apple .
Of course I was so excited .. ! you know !

FedEx's website told me my package is goin to arrive on 14th of Nov , which is yesterday , 6 p.m.
I came back to home at 5 p.m. , and there was no note or anything . I waited till 7 p.m. .. maybe that is not that long , but for me , it was . lol
anyways .. After 7 p.m. , I phoned to FedEx , and they said it is pretty late , so my macbook will be arrived on Monday . I was sad , but you know , it is not a big deal . So I went to sleep .

AND GUESS WHAT !!!!
Today morning , my mother was drinking coffee . Suddenly , and accidently , she found a "random" box on the deck !!!
.... You can guess what I did . Uh-uh , not just screaming !

My first macbook was sitting on the deck , whole night , alone .
Here is Canada , really cold , but thankfully last night wasn't THAT cold .
As I brought it into home , I turn the heater on .... hahaha .. I was mad . I phoned to FedEx and Apple , and they decided if I send it back to Apple , Apple will send me a new one . I mean , refurbished . lol

But I do not want to waste my another week !!!
It is a long story , but I will try to make it short as possible .
As I ordered it by a phone call , because I could not use a credit card , (again) because I am international student (as you can see from my english lol) .
So I transfer the money by wire-transfer in bank , but there was something wrong , so we has to resend it .
You know , it is not just $10 toy . It is macbook . I was so worried with beginning ..
After that , I phoned Apple like , what , at least one time a day , for five days , because there was nothing on my order status when I logged in .
The lady wrote down wrong email address .... That was the reason .

I thought I passed everything possibly ! But what is it ?!
Now my macbook is endangered !!!! AWWW !!

I searched on the internet about "frozen laptop" .... hahaha my god .
One of my friend said , her father literally has leaved his laptop in his truck trough entire winter , and it was fine .
And of course it was not cold like that ... I searched it , and last night was like .. 1~3 degree . Also I don't think it got wet .
So I phoned to Apple again , and decided to keep it for short term , as they said it is 14 days , and I will send it to Apple if there is a problem .

Now I am using THAT MACBOOK !!!
It seems ok ... Everything is fine , in my view .

So , I need youguys' help .
I know I will know in 10 days if there are some problems .. But I am so worried now .

What do you think ? Do you think it is okay even though it was sitting outside for a whole night ?
Has anyone had this kind of experience ?
Is there any possibility as if it will cause long-term effect later ?
I am so confused ... Help me please !

And I WILL NEVER FORGER FedEx ... !!!!!!! RAWRRRR

Thank you for reading ! :D

and Sorry for messy writing ! I cannot really think or polish my writing right now . lol sorry

OP
R
Reaction score
p.s I am little bit worried because I don't clearly know if this thread can be placed here ..
I read policies but still confused . :-(
If it is wrong place , please , someone tell me .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
This place should be fine.

First off, I've had a similar experience. My mom left at around 11AM a couple of weeks ago and I came home at 5PM to find my MacBook sitting outside my door (I live on quite a busy street) with the big "Apple Refurbished Product" marked on the side. I was less than impressed, and on the Order Status/Fedex page I wanted to see what happened to FedEx forcing people to sign for items... I requested the signature and what I got was a guy that just wrote FedEx.

Anyway, your laptop should be fine. If it was -20ish or something I'd probably send it back but 1-3 degrees? Don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Even if it was -20, as long as you give the item time to acclimate to the temperature indoors, it will be fine.

Problems occur when people try use cold electronics in a warm environment without giving them a chance to warm up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
I would be so angry at fedex for doing that. Warm the MacBook up in room temperature. If it was REALLY COLD and I mean really cold- like arctic temperatures, I would be concerned about the LCD because the LCD has liquid crystals that could freeze during very low temperatures. Since your computer seems fine though, I wouldn't be worried too much. Try to test it for a couple days, but If I were you, I would just send it back so I wouldn't have to worry about problems that may occur.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think that the OP is alone in this situation. I've read several threads like this in the past few months. >_>" What's up with Fedex?

OP
R
Reaction score
 Yeah , no kidding .. I freaked out ! i_i
and this is not the first problem problem with FedEx , I bet .. I saw similar thing's goin on . It drives me crazy .

Anyways , Thanks all youguys ! :D I have ran this macbook for 4 hours , but is looks find .
The thing I have to do is being friend with this guy lol

Thanks again !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Wierd, I was supposed to get my new MacBook today too, from FedEx. They didn't show up until about 5:30 PM, and I wasn't home until about 8. Meanwhile it was pouring rain, and my porch does not stay dry in a heavy rain storm. The box was somewhat wet, but was dry inside and everything is fine. Still, it just seems irresponsible and inconsiderate for them to just leave an expensive item like this out where it can get rained on and/or stolen. Who knows if it had been out a bit longer it might have soaked through and actually ruined the computer.

I never hear anything good about FedEx. On the other hand, I have always found UPS to be reliable and considerate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Wow, so much for safe secure delivery!

OP
R
Reaction score
Wierd, I was supposed to get my new MacBook today too, from FedEx. They didn't show up until about 5:30 PM, and I wasn't home until about 8. Meanwhile it was pouring rain, and my porch does not stay dry in a heavy rain storm. The box was somewhat wet, but was dry inside and everything is fine. Still, it just seems irresponsible and inconsiderate for them to just leave an expensive item like this out where it can get rained on and/or stolen. Who knows if it had been out a bit longer it might have soaked through and actually ruined the computer.

I never hear anything good about FedEx. On the other hand, I have always found UPS to be reliable and considerate.

Holy crap . It is not just my case , eh ? A lot of people have problem with FedEx . They dont even ring the bell even though people are home . I dont wanna be any fussy or what , but I am not let them duck from this situation . RWARRRR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alienware,mbp,imac(3),blackjack,Hp running macintosh,
hmmmmmm

p.s I am little bit worried because I don't clearly know if this thread can be placed here ..
I read policies but still confused . :-(
If it is wrong place , please , someone tell me .

Well i believe this section is called ANYTHING GOES yeah it should be fine

Also i have heard a story of a mac book flying out of a car wreck and still wrking so dont stress. Man how wish apple made there own shipping. I order m y new mac pro with UPS and it came 3 days past a expected due date ERRRRR

XD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
You guys are making me nervous, I had to presign for a FedEx delivered package because I won't be home. It's a refurb iPod Touch, and cost me a lot of money, and now I won't be able to concentrate at school all day. :(

In my previous experience, FedEx is pretty lazy when it comes to signatures and all that. Even when they do ask for one, supposedly, you're supposed to be 18 to legally sign for a package. Most of the time, if my parents aren't home, they just get me to sign for it. :p

Reaction score
Only thing I would have suggested is just bringing it inside, and letting it sit at room temp for at least 12 hours before powering on. Aside from that, a cool mac is a happy mac :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Even if it was -20, as long as you give the item time to acclimate to the temperature indoors, it will be fine.

Problems occur when people try use cold electronics in a warm environment without giving them a chance to warm up.

Exactly. It is a portable computer afterall, it's designed to be transported in sometimes less than ideal temperatures. If it were stored in less than freezing temperatures, I would certainly give it a few hours to warm up before using it, but otherwise it should be fine.

I certainly wouldn't accept a refurb as a replacement for a brand new machine.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
 Holy crap . It is not just my case , eh ? A lot of people have problem with FedEx . They dont even ring the bell even though people are home . I dont wanna be any fussy or what , but I am not let them duck from this situation . RWARRRR

This has happened to be more than once. I had some important documents that were suppose to be shipped to my house in the morning and I paid like close to 75 dollars for overnight shipping and whatnot and it didn't come until 2 in the afternoon. >_>" They didn't ring the door bell or anything, I had to like sit like practically near my front door to hear their foot steps and what not.

This also happened when I ordered computer parts and they basically were thrown behind the bushes of my front house and were sitting outside overnight. If I didn't have to go looking for the morning news paper I probably wouldn't have found the package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I had this problem when my Powermac G5 was delivered 3 years ago. My entire family was out of state for my college graduation and Fedex left the package (which was marked, "signature required") sitting outside the house with nobody home! Long story short, I saw "delivery complete" on the tracking info from 1100 miles away and called a friend to go over to my house and rescue the computer. Apple was very apologetic and even offered to send me another computer free of charge if the original was stolen.

As far as the cold, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you brought it in and let it warm up before you turned it on you should be just fine. But definitely let Apple and Fedex know, they're not supposed to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.