MBP Clamshell Mode w/ External Monitor

Reaction score
Heya,

Got myself a shiny new macbook pro 2.53Ghz and loving it. Also got myself a shiny 22" Samsung LCD to go with it.

I've read elsewhere that theoretically when you connect an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and close the lid on the Mac, the external monitor should keep going and you should be able to use it in "clamshell" mode.

However its not doing it for me :(

Closing the lid put the mac to sleep. It keeps power to the keyboard and mouse, but sleeps the external display. Clicking keys/mouse doesnt bring it back to life :(

Any tips? Tried it both in spanned and mirrored mode, no difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Try shutting the lid quickly after you power up. Also, try detecting the display's in the System Preferences.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you have the MBP on AC power. Clamshell mode does not work when the machine is on battery.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Disconnect either your mouse or external keyboard, then close the MBP lid, now plug your mouse or keyboard back in which should wake the MBP and show on your external monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I had this problem on friday. First, you turn on the computer, connect your mouse and keyboard, then close it. When you plug in your display it should wake up from sleeping. Also, if you want to have your display plugged in then close the lid you can. Just touch any key/button on the keyboard or mouse and it should wake right up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.