• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't import any video into PPCs3 or imovie?

Reaction score
I've been trying for the last couple days to import videos into both premiere pro cs3 and imovie, and nothing works. I tried avi, and that didn't work. I converted it into mp4, and now it'll play in quicktime with no audio at all, but still won't import into either program. Then I tried a totally different video file that is mp4 video and aac audio (both apple formats) and it STILL doesn't work. Not only does the file not import to either program, but when i try to play it in quicktime, i just get audio with a black screen. I'm getting really frustrated with this, because I just bought a new macbook pro and it can't do anything with video, even when the video format is from APPLE. (note: I can watch everything fine in VLC - watching isn't the problem; i can't import them into anything to edit)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Try the first sample movie from this Apple link. I just imported and used it in iMovie 08. If this works, then I'd guess there is something odd about the format you are working with.

You may be interested in this other thread regarding import problems into iMovie 08.

Have you installed any third party codecs, such as Perian or some Divx stuff? Try removing them if you have.

I know zero about PPcs3, so I'd have to stick to some iMovie variant for this discussion.

OP
lonedrow14
Reaction score
I'll try that and see how it works. I finally got one video to work after converting it with isquint. The problem with the video i actually wanted is that isquint doesn't support the file format or some encoding in it (even though it's mp4) and so it won't convert any of the video, just audio. Now the only issue is that PPcs3 doesn't support mp4 apparently, and nothing else is working because apple doesn't support pretty much anything. So what I think I'm going to have to do is use PPcs3 on my windows machine, convert it to a .mov file (which should work on the mac...although with the way things are going, I guess I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it didn't either) and do all of the detailed editing on the mac. It's just a lot of hassle for something really simple. Kind of disappointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You didn't say where the video came from or what format is is originally in. That may be the key to someone helping out.

The acronym MP4 could be misleading as there are some messed up versions out there.

OP
lonedrow14
Reaction score
it's a video with the .mp4 file type, says it is h.264 with aac audio. opens in quicktime, plays audio but with blank screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds to me that either the file is messed up, perhaps by the originating encoder software or by other means. But of course perhaps the QuickTime components don't understand that file format at some low level difference.

Perhaps the info window in VLC can give some more hints regarding the file attributes.

Since it sounds like you don't have it, try installing Perian.

Codecs are a messy issue. If you get that file to work in PPcs3 on your Windows box, then perhaps it is one of those messed up mp4 files I referred to earlier. You likely need to know the encoding software used and on what platform.

One converting application I've had luck with is ffmpegX. This is a GUI wrapper around some powerful command line tools. It is a bit of a hassle to set up but can be worth the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.