firewire mac question

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 17'' g5 which i plan on using to record music. I also bought FD eSATA & USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - GF500EU - Buy.com< that hard drive to keep my music on. the problem i'm having is that the firewire cable that i purchased with the harddrive >Tripp Lite eSATA (SATA-II) Signal External Cable - P950-36I - Buy.com fits perfectly in the harddrives firewire port, but not into the firewire port on my mac. Ive looked online for a cable that has that cables end and the 6 pin one i need for the computer, but i cant find one. I also am wondering if some kind of adaptor would work? If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That external enclosure only has eSATA and USB connectors, not Firewire. That cable is eSATA, not Firewire. Your iMac does not have an eSATA connection.

Get the appropriate USB cable and use that, or return the drive & cable, then learn what Firewire is before ordering again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Xstep is right. You just need to get the correct USB cable and your good to go. You mac doesn't have an eSATA connection, and the external doesn't have firewire. good luck.

Reaction score
Xstep is right. You just need to get the correct USB cable and your good to go. You mac doesn't have an eSATA connection, and the external doesn't have firewire. good luck.

I was at ~16 games last season, been to 5 so far, I live in Pittsburgh to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware your PPC G5 will boot from an external drive only with firewire should you want the external bootable. Intel machine are USB 2 bootable but not PPC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.