Please help.

Reaction score
I am pretty new to mac and am still trying to figure things out. My 6 year old last night and this morning was playing on the mac and now the volume buttons don't work properly. When I hit the mute button it shrinks all open windows and shows them all at once. When I hit the volume down button it's like the screen minimizes but it goes to the top. When I hit the volume up button dashboard pops up. And I also just figured out that when I type text, the mac tells me what I am typing, kinda neat at first but gets old fast. How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THat sounds like the expose preferences have been messed up

Go to  menu > System Preferences > Dashboard and Exposé

Most likely the settings have been altered

If not then the settings in  menu > System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse (Shortcuts tab) have been altered

In future set up a new user with standard (not admin) privileges so that your youngster can use the computer without messing anything up

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your 6 year old was a busy little fellow. :D As for the keyboard do this: Open System Preferences (looks like a cog wheel) and select Keyboard & Mouse. Select the "Keyboard" tab. Remove the check mark from the box that states "Use all F1,........" Now select the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab and press the button that states "Restore Defaults".

Back in System Preferences, go to "Universal Access". Make sure the VoiceOver selection is turned off. Next press your fn key and at the same time press F5 to make sure VoiceOver is toggled off.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you both for your help. The suggestions from chscag fixed it. Thanks again both of you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.