Macbook Connects to Router, iMac does not. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Devices:
- Two MacBooks
- One iMac PowerPC G5 running Mac OS X 10.3.9
- D-Link Dl-624 Router
- All computers connect to the router via Airport

Bear with me, I'm not much of a tech guy, just trying to fix this internet problem for my family. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Summary of situation:
We recently had a power surge in our house. The power was momentarily knocked out and when it came back, the internet did not work. I reset the box that provides our house with our internet and television services and this seemed to fix the problem, although the router seemed to have reset as well. The network name had changed to "Jumpstart-P1-a160c4" and no longer had the WEP security enabled. I reconfigured the router to have the original name of "Home" and enabled the password security.

I reset the television/internet services once again and this time it came back, both of the Macbooks were able to connect to the internet no problem. However the iMac cannot connect to the network. The computer recognizes the network "Home", however when I attempt to connect to it, I get a message "There was an error joining the AirPort network "Home".

I have since reset the television/internet services a number of times, although the situation remains the same. I searched forums for possible problems with my router and could not find anything. I did a quick search of this forum and it seemed there were no threads that referred to my exact problem.

Can anyone provide some insight as to what the problem may be? If you need further information I will be happy to provide it. I'm not much of a computer guy, although I would like to try and solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

Jordan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some things to try.

As a test, go into the DI 624 menu and remove all security. Try again to connect the G5. If the G5 can connect in the clear it's probably an airport setting that needs to be adjusted. If it still can not connect, it's possible that a preference file has become corrupt from the power interruption. Further test by:

Attaching an ethernet cable (cat-5 cable) from the DI 624 direct to the G5 and see if it will connect that way. If it fails to connect even with an ethernet cable attached, there may be a hardware problem with the G5, possibly caused by the power interruption and surge.

A question for you: What kind of Internet - TV services are you using? You didn't mention it but it sounds like you may be using Verizon FIOS? My system here is FIOS and I was issued a DI-624 by Verizon.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chscag. I went in, removed the security, restarted the router and voila, all computers can now connect to the router and connect to the internet. I will attempt to reapply the WEP security settings and hopefully there won't be another connection problem.

Thanks again.

Some things to try.

As a test, go into the DI 624 menu and remove all security. Try again to connect the G5. If the G5 can connect in the clear it's probably an airport setting that needs to be adjusted. If it still can not connect, it's possible that a preference file has become corrupt from the power interruption. Further test by:

Attaching an ethernet cable (cat-5 cable) from the DI 624 direct to the G5 and see if it will connect that way. If it fails to connect even with an ethernet cable attached, there may be a hardware problem with the G5, possibly caused by the power interruption and surge.

A question for you: What kind of Internet - TV services are you using? You didn't mention it but it sounds like you may be using Verizon FIOS? My system here is FIOS and I was issued a DI-624 by Verizon.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.