New SCSI drive does not appear

Reaction score
Have G4 using a SCSI drive for boot drive no problem here. Installed a second SCSI drive set SCSI ID to 4 no other SCSI drives installed except for boot drive. The G4 does not see the new drive in Disk Utility program but does appear in the System Profiler. The drive has not been formatted but should still appear and ask me if I want to format. I tried starting up the computer with Disk Warrior and it did not recognize the drive. The drive is a Seagate ST3146807LW. I have a ATTO UL2D PCI card installed. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a head scratcher if Disk Warrior couldn't see it. The only thing I can suggest is go to the ATTO site and see if there's a firmware update for the card that might be available.

https://www.attotech.com/

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
May well be the scsi ID (jumper setting). Have a look at this link and see if that help;s after examining the settings on your new drive:-

SCSI id question for the oldies - ehMac.ca

To check formating go to About this Mac>More Info>Parallel SCSI and see if the drive is listed there.

OP
U
Reaction score
The ATTO card is ok I currently am using the card with a SCSI drive on it. In fact it is the same model drive that I'm trying to get going. So that should eliminate any problem with the PCI SCSI Card.
I did check the SCSI number In fact I even changed the number and this was recognized in the System Profiler. The drive does appear in the System Profiler but the only info given is that is that it identifies the model of the drive and gives the SCSI ID number. It does not give any other info about its size.

One additional thing I tried is I removed my boot drive which is a SCSI drive same model drive that I'm trying to get going. Installed the new drive set the SCSI to 0 installed my OS X installation disk and tried to load it as if I was installing a new OS on a new drive. The installation disk would not see the drive. The apple symbol came up then went to the do not enter symbol.
I check the SCSI termination and it is good.

So I'm going to send the drive back. When I get replacement I'll post back on the results.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.