Macbook battery problem

Reaction score
Something strange is going on with my Macbook right now. It is charged to 100% but connected to power, and the battery display on the taskbar keeps flickering between displaying 100% and a battery symbol with X in it, when I click it says 'no batteries available'. This is happening every few seconds. It started happening about half an hour ago. I unplugged the Mac and when I did the screen went black and wouldn't go back to normal. So I closed the lid and reopened it. It then returned to normal, but now the same thing as happened, and when I took out the cable the same thing happened. I don't know what's going on. Thanks in advanace.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like your battery might be on the fritz. Have you tried shutting it down completely, removing the battery and putting it back in?

Reaction score
Apple announced a battery problem for Macbook and Mackbook Pros in April of 2007. Certain batteries were defective. But not in a way that could harm your computer or be dangerous. Your symptoms do sound like that problem but you should stop by MacBook | Macbook Pro Battery Problem for links to diagnostics and information about getting a replacement battery if you qualify.
Best,
WW

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks. I shut down the computer when it first happened and that fixed it until it happened again. In the end I took the battery out and put it back in and so far so good. I'll see how it goes today. I only got my Macbook in July so it shouldn't be the faulty battery issue in 2007, nor would I expect problems this soon!

Reaction score
This happened to one of my friend's hand-me-down MacBooks but I think it was one of the 2007 release that you mentioned. It had an X on her battery on the upper right corner. She couldn't use it unless it was plugged in and being charged! Otherwise it would die.

My other friend is having the same battery problems as yourself, his being the same release as the one you have. Not sure what he did with it yet but I know he's been having battery problems. Keep me updated on what happens to yours! Good luck!

OP
P
Reaction score
Just an update on the situation.

I called Apple and they sent out a new battery for free which I received yesterday, calibrated last night, and now the same thing is starting to happen again! I'm going to call them in the morning. I hope they don't charge me for this battery if there was nothing wrong with my old one.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong, unless I've been incredibly unlucky and received two faulty ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.