In search for an External DVD Burner.

Reaction score
Well my Mac Mini should be here tomorrow.

Yesterday my LaCie DvD usb2.0 burner took a crap on me. I took it back to CompUSA (I have a 2 year service plan w/ them) and try to get a exchange, but they do not have any LaCie burners in stock. So I only found one more burner that claims it is Mac compatible and its a Iomega Super Drive 16x.

So I take it home, what a POS drive. Now I want to return it.

My question is would I be able to use any other external dvd burners from CompUSA even though they do not claim that they are Mac compatible? I can eiter get a external USB or Firewire one. Please help? Suggestions.

Yes,,, I am a new Mac user. :bone:

R

Ryanstech

Iomega has been going downhill ever since ZIP drives became obsolete. I would look for a drive that supports both USB2.0 and Firewire for maximum compatibility. Compusa has a limited selection try looking online if you can you will more then likely find a great deal.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get the LaCie DVD burner. I have been told that they are very close to the superdrive that Apple uses. Also I would stick with firewire. You will find that you will use it more often, unless you have a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
one of my friends has a X16 LaCie External DVD burner.... =O niiice... why does Apple still uses X4???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe Apple is up to 8 now.

OP
shift
Reaction score
Yea I just purchased a 12X LG burner. has both firewire and USB2.0. I just have to use aftermarket mac burning software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Use Toast and install Patchburn 3, which lets you burn dvd's form iTunes, iDVD and iPhoto...

M

macsrule

shift said:
Well my Mac Mini should be here tomorrow.

Yesterday my LaCie DvD usb2.0 burner took a crap on me. I took it back to CompUSA (I have a 2 year service plan w/ them) and try to get a exchange, but they do not have any LaCie burners in stock. So I only found one more burner that claims it is Mac compatible and its a Iomega Super Drive 16x.

So I take it home, what a POS drive. Now I want to return it.

My question is would I be able to use any other external dvd burners from CompUSA even though they do not claim that they are Mac compatible? I can eiter get a external USB or Firewire one. Please help? Suggestions.

Yes,,, I am a new Mac user. :bone:

I bought an Samsung internal DVD and also an external USB case to use on my PC and Mac. the Samsung DVD is only 4x (i think) i havent burned any DVDs, but the CD burner works on both units.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have an external lacie dual layer sup drive, go with lacie and firewire. it cost me 149.99 new online.

M

MrSector9

I bought a sony 8x dvd-r that is external firewire/usb 2.0 and VERY happy with it.Got it for $99 canadian plus shipping.

BJ White

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.