• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nice looking weapon there baggss and i bet it took some time to get it to balance on the corner of the table like that. Not a lot of surface area there ;)

Just one thing, why the need for a better scope than the Red Dot ?? I use to use a Red Dot sight, not sure what brand, when Pig, Buffalo and Roo shooting (They are classed as Vermin on a Cattle Station) from a Helicopter and i loved it, because when the red dot was on target, thats when i pulled the trigger to drop them. Never missed. Maybe once or twice

For close in it's be ok, but out to or past 100 yards I'd want something better. If only because my bifocals make it hard to focus that far out through a scope like the red dot one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I almost bought that same Carbon model last week. They had it on sale for $799, but I had other priorities. I like the stock Carbon, no matter what other people say. I think you can still find them for $899 though, which I is still a good deal. Have fun shooting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Bought myself an early birthday present(along with a Citizen eco-drive watch not pictured).
Only shot 50 rounds through it, and I noticed the feed ramp was a bit too sharp to smoothly let the bullet chamber. Ground a bit and polished the feed ramp, and fitted a Caspian Trik trigger. I think it's a beauty!

DSC_0080_zpsc52a86bf.jpg

DSC_0081_zps61b0a2b1.jpg

DSC_0090_zps5d689c5f.jpg

DSC_0089_zps81ab5565.jpg

Only way to make the trigger smoother slide more smoothly is to make it out of butter. It's so smooooooth.
DSC_0097_zps66203eb6.jpg

DSC_0100_zpsee5f3c4e.jpg

DSC_0107_zps3dcf9992.jpg

DSC_0088_zps5ce201ab.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Back in the states I have a Marlin 22LR for hunting those vicious squirrels and rabbits. Have a 30cal M1 Carbine for hunting dear. We got a lot of brush, the carbine is good for 40 yards or less which is about when I actually run up on a dear or two. LOL.. Slowly leaning more to photo shooting my targets as I get older. Mosly cuz I am to lazy to drag the critters out of the woods. As far as home defense here in the philippines where I am staying now. I really don't need a gun for protection, it wouldn't do my wife any good cuz she didn't want to learn to shoot even when we was in the states, plus to many kids around here to worry about. That said, anyone breaks in I rather not get blood in my house and they should fear me more then a gun its self.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That S&W is a prime example of manufacturers putting more effort into selling a gun by its looks than performance. It's unfortunate that this is why people hate 1911s. My S&W has been the worst experience I've ever had on a 1911. Totally disappointed to the point I don't care about it, or wasting time sending it in for repairs. S&W says it needs more break-in time, but the slide should not be grinding against the frame to the point that it gets stuck even with the spring trying to do its job. Never had this problem before. I shot 150 painful rounds today, loading 5 rounds in all the magazines I had, and the slide would literally jam 2-3 times on every magazine. I thought this issue was being caused by the feed ramp at first, but now that I finished the ramp perfect, it binds exactly the same. This time, however, I was able to reproduce the slide to frame problem at the range. I took it apart, and it slide would grind against the inner frame rail even with no ammo, and guide rod/spring. I let the range officer take a look at it, and he said "it's the luck of the draw." And I thought I was disappointed with the PO 1911 I had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bummer on the boat anchor. I've never owned a S&W 1911, mainly because of posts like yours. Maybe best to just sell it (with full disclosure on any functions issues) to someone looking for a base for a gun to build on and cut your losses? Then again, if it's just going to sit in a safe doing nothing, maybe just send it to S&W and see what happens? Oddly enough, my favorite and most reliable 1911 is also my cheapest - a 1993 Norinco. Go figure. That's another variant that people either revere, or write off as Chi-Com junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I somehow managed to miss a really simple issue(guess because I wasn't expecting it). The extractor pin was riding too low, and would just snag on the frame enough to causes the issue. I couldn't find a pin to buy locally, so I went to a friend at Fin Feather & Fur, where he gave me a new pin. Took it home, popped the old pin out and replaced it. Gave it a good cleaning, and was about to head out to the range when I noticed the mail had come. My two Chip McCormick Power Mag 10 rounders came in. I put 350 rounds through the Smith, and it didn't give me a single issue. I feel so stupid for not looking at the pin earlier.

I managed to get suspended by a new guy at the range for shooting too quick(I was in my happy mode)(suspension kicks in after the shooting hour), but when I finished, the RO said, "Don't worry about it, you destroyed your target. It's the other people we worry about."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I somehow managed to miss a really simple issue(guess because I wasn't expecting it). The extractor pin was riding too low, and would just snag on the frame enough to causes the issue.

Gotta love external extractors. Glad it works now.

Reaction score
Walther P1 I built recently.....

One of my favorite things to do is build my own firearms. I've built AR15s in the past, as well as an M1 Garand, and also a Springfield 03-A3 rifle earlier this year.

Just a couple weeks ago, I took on a new project. I purchased a WWII-era German P.38 pistol made by Walther in March 1945, just before the end of the war. Unfortunately, the gun had been expertly re-finished, but that meant it was fairly cheap at $450 (would've been $800 or so had it had its original finish).

So, I decided to remove the barrel and slide from the frame, remove every single part from the frame, and build a new pistol using post-war West German parts. I had my gunsmith check headspace and function before I fired it the first time, but I assembled the pistol myself. I've put 200 rounds through it so far, with no failures to feed, fire, or extract/eject.

The Walther P1 pistol is the same exact design as the P.38, but the designation was changed from P.38 to P1 in 1963, and then, over the years, improvements were made to the design (thicker slide, forged locking block, improved sights, etc). My newly-built pistol has all these design improvements, and is extremely accurate.

Here are some photos.....

IMG_3626.JPG

Reaction score

Right side. Since this photo was taken, I've installed a new set of black grips that are not worn like those in this photo.....

IMG_3627.JPG

Reaction score

Close-up of slide and frame markings. The eagle over 359 stamp just to the right of the serial number is the WWII German "Waffenamt" inspection stamp for the Walther factory.

IMG_3631.JPG

Reaction score

Accuracy. This target was 10 yards out. I was taking my time aiming. This accuracy is extraordinary for this 75-year-old pistol design!

IMG_3649.JPG

Reaction score

This target was 15 yards out, and I fired faster at this one (something like one round every second).

IMG_3646.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Anyone have experience with Trijicon RMR sights? I just bought a new Smith & Wesson 9mm C.O.R.E. Pro Series. I had planned on getting it fitted with an Trijicon RMR red-dot, but now I don't know if I want the tritium/fiber optic or the battery operated version. I can keep the battery operated one off if I want to co-witness, but the tritium version will always be "on." However, there's a significant price difference between the two.

FYI: This M&P is by far the best gun I have ever owned. Nothing comes close. Simply impeccable. Hitting my own holes like it was nothing. I can't remember the last time I was this happy at a gun range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I haven't checked in here in ages! Still good to see thread near the top of the forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This target was 15 yards out, and I fired faster at this one (something like one round every second).

You missed one ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thinks... Why would I want one?

You guys in the US all seem deranged to us on this side of the pond. How's about you stop shooting at each other and become more civilised?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't checked in here in ages! Still good to see thread near the top of the forum!

Where have you been baggss? I miss your humor and input, how about participating a bit more? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.