• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I do not have a permit to conceal a handgun, but I will when I am of age. I do have two firearms though:

A Springfield 9x19mm 4" barrel 16 round XD-9 pistol, and a Franchi I-12 12 gauge 3 shot semi-automatic shotgun.

I use the XD-9 for the target range and the I-12 for sporting clays and skeet shoot.

Quick fact: I can break down both weapons blindfolded. I have yet to put them back together blindfolded. Still practicing though ;)

I have also fired an M9 (i believe it was, at least).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
It's getting to be quite an immotive issue on this thread.

I shall 'gracefully' withdraw. I've re-read what I've written but would add only this:

If you are truly in a position where carrying a concealed handgun either makes you feel safe or confident (not always allied to each other), you truly have my sympathy (and before anybody takes offence, I am being sincere rather than patronising).

At least I only needed mine when 'in harm's way' rather than where I live - that would be too much to bear (no pun intended).

Be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
If you are truly in a position where carrying a concealed handgun either makes you feel safe or confident (not always allied to each other), you truly have my sympathy (and before anybody takes offence, I am being sincere rather than patronising).

At least I only needed mine when 'in harm's way' rather than where I live - that would be too much to bear (no pun intended).

The cops around where I live aren't going to protect you. The only thing they ever do is pull people over for speeding through town and clean up the mess, post attack, of course.

It's not that they're lazy, but you can't expect the police to be your personal bodyguards and follow you around 24/7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
you can't expect the police to be your personal bodyguards and follow you around 24/7.

That has actually been upheld in court time and time again across the U.S.A. Police investigate crimes, they are not required to prevent them. Their responsibility to to respond to the situation only after it is brought to their attention by you or someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.8GHz. 320GB@7200.
FWIW, I own two guns;
1.Ruger "Old Model" Super Blackhawk .44 mag (deep blue polish).
2.Remington 700 BDL Bolt Action 30-06 Springfield 22" gloss walnut /blue finish.

The SB is used for wild boar & target. The 700, target. I don't have a need to conceal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I carry a .45 Glock 21 for personal protection. I also have a Browning .270 for deer hunting, a Ruger 10-22 for small game, and a Remington 12 gauge for duck and dove hunting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I have a Glock 23 and a Sig Sauer P6 along with some rifles and a shotgun. I don't have a CCW, since it's really hard to get one in my county. I would get a CCW if I could, but I'm not sure that I'd carry all the time. I think it would make me feel more paranoid if I had a gun in my pants.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Police investigate crimes, they are not required to prevent them. Their responsibility to to respond to the situation only after it is brought to their attention by you or someone else.

Broadening the topic rather, this is an extraordinary situation, to be found in most so-called 'democratic' countries, where the criminal has the right, entrenched in law, to break the law, potential consequences and all, but the police and law-abiding public have no right under civil law to take preemptive action to prevent it, because no crime has (yet) been committed. Bizarre! By-and-large, it's only respect for the law and other people that prevents a great deal more crime.

I understand completely why people living in some areas of some places not only feel but know they have to carry a firearm to protect themselves - because no-one else is going to do it.

OP
David A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro - 2.8 - 4 gigs - lots of programs - lots of media
For what it is worth, I just appreciate the idea that I'd rather have a gun and not need it rather than need a gun and not have it.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm looking at some Sigs. :)

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I just appreciate the idea that I'd rather have a gun and not need it rather than need a gun and not have it.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm looking at some Sigs. :)

Exactly :) I'd rather be prepared.

Yeah, my gun will be for personal protection; but mainly for shooting as a hobby. Im going to be taking some courses on defensive shooting, etc. maybe compete a bit if i show some natural talent ;) (runs in my family kinda). If i wanted a gun JUST for personal protection it'd be a pistol. But an ar-15 is wayy more fun :)

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I am sorry, but it seems that 90% on here that carry guns need to sort out your lives. Really, if you need a gun in your area then move. For a hobby, shoot away.

It has been extremely interesting for me to read this but I guess it is a so called American culture thing that I can not understand. Sorry to break your conversation.

Reaction score
IF you need a gun to protect yourself in the area you live move. If you need a seatbelt in your car then don't drive. Makes since to me. I carry daily, and if for one second I thought I would NEED my pistol, I would carry a rifle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I am sorry, but it seems that 90% on here that carry guns need to sort out your lives. Really, if you need a gun in your area then move. For a hobby, shoot away.

For some of us, "sorting out our lives" isn't the problem. I don't really have much of an option at my point in life.

I can't afford to move because my job doesn't pay well enough, my job doesn't pay enough because I'm still going to school and haven't got a degree yet, and the fact is, I'm living within my means right now.

I can't get out of here. I'm stuck until I can either save up enough money to get out or my family decides to move. If I dropped out of school, sure, I could move out, but I'd still be stuck in the same, crappy, low income situation, this time with even less money because I'd be paying at least $700 a month for utilities and rent, which, in Michigan is cheap.

You say "move" like it's just that easy to pick up and go. I'd love to move, but I haven't got the kind of resources to do so, and I'm sure some of us have the same type of situation.

I'm surprised, because as a British person, I kinda figured you'd have at least heard about how the gun ban in Britain isn't working.

Gun crime is up 40%, knife crimes are rising because people without any clue how to properly defend themselves think that just by carrying it they're safe.

Most of us Americans aren't just a bunch of gun crazy wa-hoos that just walk into a corner store, buy a gun, and then go shoot up the neighborhood. In fact, the people that own guns legally are less likely to use them for anything other than sport or self defense, and the fact that people are allowed to carry guns is quite a powerful deterrent for most would be criminals.

If a mugger has a gun, and they're not legal where you live, odds are, at worst, you'll have a knife, and that's not going to stop him from jacking your stuff, your loved ones, or even your life. The police aren't going to protect you, it's not their job to protect you

Kinda sad that Gordon Brown and the rest of the British government doesn't seem to see that these bans aren't stopping criminals from using guns, but they sure are increasing the rate that the criminals are using them at.

The bad guys will always have guns, and with gun bans, the law abiding citizens are the ones that suffer.

Reaction score
Glock 40 9mm. Yeah, pretty 'thug like' stuff... however, what other gun can you put in water, then fill with sand and still fire like it's brand new?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
would jesus have carried?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I have a Glock 22 and an M9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I think the notion that people that own guns are crazy cowboys is outdated. Another misconception is that everyone that owns a gun is in the NRA and voted for Bush. Also its not practical or possible for some of us to move out of the neighborhoods we live in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.