• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
In my 12 years in the R.A.F. I held a marksmans badge. That was for the Lee Enfield .303. rifle, the Bren gun LMG .303 and the B.S.A. Martini Mk2 International .22 target rifle. I was an aircraft electrition through the 60s into the early 70s and never had to fire a weapon in anger I am glad to say. I would be terrified if I ever though that I actually needed to carry a weapon as a civilian and would get away from anywhere that made me feel like that.

I have never understood the ideas behind you folk on the other side of the Pond and your love of these bang sticks, but reading a lot of this thread has enlightened me to some of the reasons. Others I have no idea why and don't really want to know.

But I do have a catapault and I use it to scare the cats that come into our garden. Not to hurt them, but did you know that if you drop a stone a couple of feet away from a hunting cat it will accelerat from 0 to about 60mph in about 1/4 second!

Edit due to lousy memory! I almost forgot to say that we are in the middle of the French 'hunting' season where they shoot ANYTHING that moves. For the first couple of weeks of the season the main targets seem to be other hunters and their dogs! Usually a few of each before they get their eye in? Then it's deer, wild boar and they do a **** of a lot of damage and on down to rabbits and the wild birds. You have to be very very carefully if you walk anywhere in the countryside and they virtually shut it down for their season. I find it quite amusing that these 'hunters' trapse around in all their butch camo kit and dayglo gillets and hats! I assume that the French wildlife can't see dayglo?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Interesting graph on today's BBC.co.uk. And still the USA thinks carrying guns is a good idea.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 15.30.19.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't get the need to critique other cultures and other ways of life. Yes we have more gun deaths in the US, my chance of being offed statistically in any given year is about 1 in 10,000. But if you dig into the numbers somewhere around 70 to 80% of the gun deaths are suicide or criminal-on-criminal. So my actual risk of some one other than myself shooting me (since I don't deal drugs or run with a gang) is about 1 in 50,000, or not much worse than anywhere else.

Also, though I admit it would be wonderful to be able to prevent those with ill intent from obtaining fire arms, we also tend to treasure our personal freedoms and view the societal risk of the "Nanny State" mentality as being as great or greater than the real gun violence threat.

EDIT: and remember this thread exists for those who own and enjoy firearms, not for a running argument on the merits of guns and gun ownership. So keep it civil, and respect our members with differing views.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
EDIT: and remember this thread exists for those who own and enjoy firearms, not for a running argument on the merits of guns and gun ownership. So keep it civil, and respect our members with differing views.

+1 to what Mike said. We understand that our forums have members who live in other parts of the world where local laws and customs are different from ours here in the US. You may disagree with our laws and customs or who we elect to the office of the President, and that's fine as long as you keep that kind of opinion to yourself. It does not belong here. There are other forums where religion and politics are discussed. If you wish to get into that type of discussion, you can always find a place to express your opinions, but not here. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Interesting graph on today's BBC.co.uk. And still the USA thinks carrying guns is a good idea.

View attachment 25620

Actually, the firearms homicide rate for the US in 2014 was 3.4%. In 2016 it was 3.5%. The overall homicide rate was ~10%.

Honestly, I don't really care how firearms or overall homicide rate stacks up with the UK or anyone else. Beyond being an entirely different country with differing social history, economic conditions and completely differing legal systems, the UK Home Office records a death as a homicide once someone has been convicted of the death in court ie: murders are reported relative to their being solved and in the year they are solved. The US reports homicides when they occur, and whether or not they are solved, and in relation to the deceased not to the convicted. One of many differences in this regard which makes comparison almost impossible. Japan counts a murder-suicide (dad kills mom and two kids) as one suicide, not 1 suicide and 3 murders. It's almost pointless, an definitely disingenuous, to make comparisons to support an agenda without a huge number of qualifiers and admitting some completely irreconcilable data points.

And that's about all I'm going to say, again, on this ridiculous tangent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I think that when a question is put out as this has been and I live in a totally different life style it's only natural for me to ask why?

I have not tried to question or critisise anyone's sulture and if it's come over that way it wasn't intentional. All I was interested in is the difference. It is and will remain a mistry as to why it is necessary carry a weapon of any kind in daily life unless you are in the armed forces?

I think that I will stick to the forums outside the Schwebs, it's safer. I think that is a shame to have to think that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Earlier today we were coming home form shopping and passed a Sapeur Pompier ambulance and a SAMU doctors car going in the opposite direction. The Sap Pomps are medic/firefighters and SAMU are the emergency docs. Not too uncommon. But on leaving the small town we passed a sign on the side of the road announcing that the local hunters were about with their shotguns and high powered rifles and to beware! Within a few yards there was a blue flashing light at the back of a feild on the left and all sorts of activity around it. A classic situation where a 'hunter' has shot someone that dared to move while he was in the area!

We dare not walk in the countryside anywhere away from the roads between the end of October and end of Feb! This is when the the hunters comandere the countryside and they are a VERY small % of the population. Not just us expats who complain either. The French are getting totally pissed off with the idiots who start their day with a brandy breakfast and a wine lunch while they are shooting at anything that moves in between times.

So you on the other side of the pond are not alone with idiots with bang sticks, but you appear to have a greater % with them it seems to my untrained eye?

The previous post was done before this incident and I thought it appropriate to renage on what I said before, this time.

Reaction score
Jonzjob I suspect you are blessed with the gift of embellishment and wonderfully so!
I live in the Great State of Maine and we have our yearly hunting seasons usually without incident or nearly so. There have been no fatalities in the past several years to the best of my knowledge.
I can't speak for the French (well actually I do speak french) but it seems a little education is called for here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We've had 22 hunting fatalities in Minnesota in the last 10 years. Less than 1/2 were firearms related. On top of that are about 20 hunting-related injuries each year, again less than 1/2 firearms-related. That is in relation to the 700,000 - 800,000 permits issued each year. Feel free to peruse the data on the MN DNR hompage.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The "Spirit" of this thread is for those members that enjoy the ownership of firearms (regardless of their geography)...where they can freely discuss the hobby...and for folks possibily looking to purchase thier first firearm. It is NOT a thread for debating the sociological merits, morals, ethics, legality, etc. of firearm ownership.

If this were a I like to collect beer mugs, I like to collect thimbles, I like to collect old coins, etc. thread,...it would mostly be for folks that enjoy these hobbies. Not for non-interested folks to comment on the merits, legality, or enjoyment factor.

From this point forward it would be appreciated that if someone is not a firearm enjoying person...to please refrain from posting a reply. This way the spirit of the thread can be maintained...and the firearm enjoying folks posting to the thread can feel safe that they will not be judged or feel the need to defend thier hobby.

Non-hobbyist posts from this point forward will be deleted. Thus please don't take the time to create a post that will ultimately be removed.

Thanks for understanding,

The Mac-Forums Staff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So... anyone else like wheel guns? I have a pile of semi-autos, but the ones I really love the most are my wheel guns - mainly out of production S&W revolvers:

Below we have:
a 442-1 .38+P (still made but the no lock variants seem to be tough to find sometimes)
a 65-3 "Ladysmith" .357 Mag (all my guns are ladies)
a 19-3 .357 Mag (pinned and recessed last model)

They aren't collector grade condition because I shoot my guns!

spegels%20-%201_zpscfvc8ati.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've always been partial to the Ruger single action (Blackhawk) line. Only owned .22 and .40 Mag in that, and currently have neither. In fact was intending to purchase a .357 Ruger Blackhawk when I ended out with the .45 S&W ACP

Reaction score
I'm guessing you either had a .41 or .44 mag. If it was indeed a .40 it was one of a kind.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm guessing you either had a .41 or .44 mag. If it was indeed a .40 it was one of a kind.

You would be correct. I meant to type .41 and thought I had (too lazy to proofread I guess).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
For myself, I have a BB/pellet rifle & pistol - mainly in the past to shoot dogs getting into our garbage cans - no longer an issue.

Now, I love the history of guns & weaponry and have watched and own a number of videos on the subject - plus, when visiting museums and historic sites w/ weapons, I can spend hours (much to my wife's chagrin) looking - most recently in Little Rock, Arkansas looking at a Jim Bowie exhibit.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
if you NEED to carry, then you are spending time in the wrong places.

So you don't go to movies, or church, or concerts, or even schools. You must lead a pretty secluded life. My point is you don't know when of where you might need it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're responding to someone who posted that a long time ago. Please watch the dates of a post before you reply. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.